UpdateWorld()

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/UpdateWorld()

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just curiosity i guess, But What does UpdateWorld() realy do?

I understand the need for it to Update Animation in mesh's and Collisions stuff, but what else is is responsible for?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think that's it really... Putting a value in the brackets updates the animation at a different speed.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#3]
I think that's about it.....but I'm not really sure...

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#4]
I checked the manual....

http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=UpdateWorld&ref=goto

PowerPC603(Posted 2004) [#5]
If you use the command MoveEntity, does the entity move immediately? Or does the entity actually move when UpdateWorld is called (and reset the move-command after executing it)?

If the entity only moves when UpdateWorld is called, then I should use multiple UpdateWorld's in the main loop.
Even if it doesn't, I should use multiple UpdateWorld's, because Blitz doesn't handle collisions between moving objects very well.

I'm trying to create a space game and want the player-ship to collide with AI-ships (and vice versa).

Before the first UpdateWorld, I would move all AI-ships.
Between the first and second UpdateWorld, I would move the player-ship.

This way Blitz can do it's collision checking for each object-type separately, so the player-ship doesn't move through any AI-ship when both are moving.

If UpdateWorld also moves the entities that are told to move, does Blitz reset the move-commands to zero, so the next UpdateWorld doesn't move them too?
If that would be the case, then the AI-ships would move twice as fast.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
MoveEntity has nothing to do with updateworld(). You can move entities around and check there updated positions. You don't even need Renderworld for this. Renderworld simply draws whats there :o)