Single-polygon sprite system

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Single-polygon sprite system

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#1]
So like, I was thinking of writing a single-polygon sprite system, then I figured that although "theoretically" faster than two-polygon sprites, because its running through an interpreter the resulting code is going to run slower anyway.

Has anyone else had experience with this/success/failures as far as improving visual speeds for vast numbers of sprites?

+BlackD

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
An interpreter? Blitz compiles the code before executing it ;)

Single surface sprite systems will generally be faster than regular blitz sprites. You'll notice the speed up if you using more than a few of them.

In a single surface particle system i wrote once, i could get around 1600 single surface quads (3600 tris) at the same speed as i could get around 40-50 sprites i think.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#3]
Single triangle particles are actually not the huge win you would expect them to be. Mostly because particle textures are generally large expanses of empty space with some detail in the middle. So have a huge single triangle or having 2 smaller triangles really doesn't matter. It's fillrate vs GPU load ... kind of a wash in the end.