Sprites & Entities

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Sprites & Entities

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
What is the difference between a sprite and an entity? I know what an entity is, but what is a sprite and how does it compare to an entity?

Thanks for whatever you might do in the future...

big10p(Posted 2004) [#2]
A sprite is an entity. 'Entity' is just a generic Blitz3D term for any 'thing' that can be created and manipulated in 3D-space.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#3]
so they are exactly the same?

Drey(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well, Sprites are just a way of blitz manages this "special case" entity for you. U have some nice properties on sprites that u don't have on entities so much. Like a sprite can always face the cam if u want it too. Without extra calcs on your part. Blitz3d will do it for u. Just read up about it. I think some mesh commands don't work with sprites. But i think almost all entity commands do.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#5]
A sprite is an entity just like
a pivot is an entity,
a mesh is an entity,
a camera is an entity,
a light is an entity.

They are all entities, but they all have special 'abilities'.
All entities can be manipulated in 3D space (moved, scaled, rotated, hidden, parented to another entity, etc.).

But,
Pivots have no mesh attached.
Meshes are made up of polygons.
Cameras can render scenes.
Lights can light up other entities.
Sprites are flat meshes (made up of only two polygons) that can be directed to always face the camera or always face the camera and stay oriented 'upright'.

Sprites are generally used for Heads Up Displays or signs or 2D trees. You can even place a sprite directly in front of the camera to display 2D images (like loading, paused or option screens).

dynaman(Posted 2004) [#6]
Blitz uses the term entity in order to keep from having multiple commands that roughly do the same thing. So instead of

Turnsprite, turnmesh, turnlandscape, etc... Blitz just has turnentity.