What format to use for level maps?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/What format to use for level maps?

sec05(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi there, want to ask something here.
I have created a level in 3d studio max and was wondering what kind of format should it be more suitable to be exported to blitz? Should I use b3d or 3ds? And what's the difference for either format?

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#2]
B3d is way better than 3ds, It supports all of blitz texure and brush features, and with the pipeline extensions you can do a lot more besides, animate lights, fog, brushes, textures, and just about anything else using the 3dsmax keyframe editor the way you would for regular 3dsmax stuff.

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
Personally, I'd use my own format that contained definitions of portals, entities, and other things (more: paths, projectors, etc.), but if your world is small you might as well just go with B3D. Otherwise, you'd probably want to come up with your own format. B3D is easily extendable, so maybe you could just add in your own chunks and read it accordingly.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#4]
I''d use pipeline, you can easily code all those things into blitz using simple name tags, and pipeline supports almost anthing you want visually. and aa lot of gameplay stuff too.