shadows

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/shadows

ala_samodi(Posted 2004) [#1]
How can I make detailed shadows!?!? (on landscape)

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well, since this is the Beginners Area, and not the Blitz3D forum or the BlitzPlus forum, I can't tell if you want it for a 2D or 3D project.

Also, landscape doesn't tell me if it's a Blitz terrain or if it's a mesh (in case it matters, but I wouldn't know).

So, it would help you in the future if gave more information about your problem...

That being said, I assume this is for a 3D project considering your previous posts. I don't know anything about creating shadows but I suppose you could check out Sswifts Shadow System, or do a search for shadows on this website or check the code archives...

ala_samodi(Posted 2004) [#3]
3d and on a mesh sorry didnt realize that

Brendane(Posted 2004) [#4]
Why bother to post a reply when you don't know about the topic of his question? Can't really tell from reading words on a screen but to me it seems a bit rude and off-putting to someone who might not bother to post again after your reply.

Apologies if you meant to be helpful there WolRon but I just sensed annoyance that he didn't phrase the question right.

He might not know what is important or not to mention in the question. If you really mean to be helpful (everyone) just ask.

Just my tuppence worth.

ala_samodi(Posted 2004) [#5]
THX brendane!!! now can someone plz help me???

sswift(Posted 2004) [#6]
Mystic:
If it's on a mesh, then my shadow system will handle it. If it's on a terrain primitive, then it won't.

Casting shadows is pretty complicated.

Basically you have to render a shadow texture by rendering the object in a hidden area of the world. Then you have to figure out which polygons are in a frustum which is defined by your light and the object asting the shadow, and duplicate those polygons into a new mesh offset from the surface below. Then you have to apply a planar mapping to the UV coordinates of the duplicated vertices. And finally, you apply the texture. Optionally you can determine if the texture has changed enough during a particular frame to need updating. My shadow system does all this and more.

I've been writing my shadow system for a long time and I'm still finding ways to tweak it and make it faster.

And I think Brendane is out of line. It was precisely WolRon's questions, which mysticlore answered, which caused me to reply. I saw the post yesterday and didn't reply because I assumed he was talking about terrain primitives.

Brendane(Posted 2004) [#7]
The end justifies the means eh?

I think not.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
No. But I don't think WolRon's post was in any way condescending, and he asked important questions which needed to be asked in order to help this individual. I honestly don't know what your problem with his post was. I see no malice in it.

Brendane(Posted 2004) [#9]
Well perhaps you're right - sorry. 'I'll get me coat.'

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
I've made shadows before. It wasn't exactly a shadow, but it was a reflection on water. You could do something similar. Just use CreateMirror(), but instead of using the real texture, use a plain gray one. I'm not sure if this works, but I would check around in the Manual section for CreateMirror().