3D Character Studio

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/3D Character Studio

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
could someone give me a suggestion for a good 3D character animation studio? thanks

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
CharacterFX

Belojr(Posted 2004) [#3]
gmax is nice.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#4]
XSI: Foundation.

It all depends what you want to spend.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#5]
thanks everybody

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#6]
Don't suggest Gmax, because it's not legal to use in blitz!

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
I keep seeing recommendations of Softimage now that there is a $500 version. Is that useful with Blitz? In particular, is there .x export? This can be converted to b3d using Ultimate Unwrap, but the Softimage site doesn't have a complete feature list and the exporters that come with DirectX are only for 3D Studio Max and Maya.

EDIT: Hm, the thread about XSI in Other Tools seems to indicate that .x export is supported. So there's my answer.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#8]
I think those suggestions come mainly from me :)

Bob3D has actually bought it, I am still trialing and waiting for student loan to kick in until I buy it. But yes, Bob says that the .x exporter works fine with unwrap and b3d.

At the moment it is the best time to buy as basically its $400, and you get $200 worth of DVD training with it, a $50 book and the software.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'll have to download the trial and, well, try it out. I doubt I'll purchase since, besides my love of its interface, I am glomming to Maya heavily because it is available for both PC and Mac, while XSI is not. Still, familiarity with the tool will be a good addition to my resume.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yes JayHocking, I also prefer Maya, but XSI is 5 times cheaper :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#12]
The name's Joe, not Jay :p

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#13]
hmm, but how to get animated characters to blitz from xsi.
the x format in blitz doesn't support animation?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#14]
What's the format in B3D that does support animation?

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#15]
.x .b3d and .md2 all support animation, the only one that doesn't is .3ds which isn't blitz's fualt, just the way .3ds is.

soz Joe :)

ZT(Posted 2004) [#16]
I thought Blitz3D did support .3ds animation?
Not tried it yet...

ZT

puki(Posted 2004) [#17]
Blitz3D does support .3ds animation as far as I know.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#18]
Blitz supports animation for all import file formats, but not all KINDS of animation. Specifically, b3d is the only file format you can use for skeletal animation. To convert a skeletal animated .x file to b3d use Ultimate Unwrap.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#19]
I thought .3ds didn't store any animation in it, it was just a static model format.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#20]
3ds supports heirarchy (aka PRS) animation. As in rigid objects moving around, but no deformation. Same goes for Blitz's support of animation in .x file format.

puki(Posted 2004) [#21]
You can have animated .3ds files - in fact, the DarkMatter CD features .x and .3ds versions of the animated models.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#22]
so i suppose if xsi becomes a popular choice for blitz people , some kindly soul could write an xsi to b3d converter
Pudding, where are you man?

puki(Posted 2004) [#23]
"Pudding" is a gay name for a hamster "Ruz". Don't spam this thread with hamster stuff - stick to the Off Topic thread.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#24]
Huh? Dude, I think he's high. Rocks man, rocks the size of my head.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#25]
yeah puki , your gay hamster fetish is getting worse.