help!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/help!

Mike0101(Posted 2004) [#1]
Few weeks ago I was use Blizt3D without problem. (since 2001) Now (after holiday) I can't start because
I get an error message: "Unable to run Blitz Basic"
What is wrong. I was instal something or I was delete
something important.

thanx

soja(Posted 2004) [#2]
Have you added any malformed userlib declarations?

Have you tried to reinstall the latest update?

Mike0101(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yes. Uninstal, restart xp, reinstal. Not works.

soja(Posted 2004) [#4]
Have you done anything with decls files in the userlibs folder?

Mike0101(Posted 2004) [#5]
In the userlib folder is one decls file (demolib.decls).

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#6]
move the content of your c:\program files\bliz3d directory to somewhere else. Now install blitz and install the most recent update. If it works, move the userlibs folder from the backup to the new installation. It should work now. If it doesn't it's something to do with explorer (the help page)

Hope this helps.

puki(Posted 2004) [#7]
I know - uninstall Blitz again - then take the remains of the folder (there will be stuff left) and copy them to another folder (to keep them safe - so you don't lose anything). Then reinstall Blitz again (in a fresh folder) - I bet it works then.

There are other explanations to the problem - you could have been poking about in the config file and cleanly reinstalling Blitz is probably going to be quicker than messing about with what broke it in the first place.

Edit: Me and "Rims" were typing at the same time as each other.

Mike0101(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thank you.
I try everything but is not good. I guess I have problem with my windows. I can't avoid the reinstal:(

What is the config file of Blitz and where is that file?

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#9]
Ahhh, great minds think alike, etc.

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#10]
Did you actually delete everything in the blitz3d directory after copying it? Install Blitz (from scratch, not the update, but the initial install. You might have it on CD) and put it somewhere else like "c:\blitz3d"

I can't think of a single reason it wouldn't start. Apart from your internet explorer being corrupt somehow. As the blitz help depends on explorer it could be that. Try re-installing IE or installing the XP SP2 (which has security updates). This might solve it. Otherwise I haven't got a clue how to help, sorry.

I seem to remember there being a problem with explorer in a previous blitz version. There was a patch or something, but that was a looooooooooong, long time ago. Indeed, I think it might have been in a place far, far away.

BobR3D(Posted 2004) [#11]
The problem with IE was with earlier versions of Blitz.

If you had IE 6 installed, the early versions of Blitz would complain that you needed higher than "IE 4.5", even though you had version 6 already.

The update to Blitz took care of that, so installing the current highest Blitz update should work.

I agree, a fresh install into a NEW folder should work.

I wonder if anything else besides Blitz3D is having problems running on Mike's computer..?