Blitz Basic upgrade

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz Basic upgrade

weebo(Posted 2004) [#1]
What exactly is the difference beteen Blitz Basic and Blitz plus? I've just shelled out £40 for Blitz Plus because Basic would not work on my XP machine, only to find half the manual is exactly the same, whats the big change or ar they just cashing in?

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#2]
quite alot, i think the main differences is its runs on like directx 1 or something, and has intigrated windows GUI functions.

keyboard(Posted 2004) [#3]
They're just cashing in weebo

run while you can

run like the wind !!!!

just kidding, you will like BlitzPlus, I bet :)

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#4]
B+ is a complete rewrite. It is faster (logic speed wise, and in graphics speed). Has limited, but useful GUI system. Ability to use normal DLLs. B+ lets you load images to system ram or video ram. B+ can use a built in software driver for rendering (slower than Jamagic's software mode, but perfect for apps), it can use DX1 for rendering (This and the software driver allow it to run on virtually ANY 32bit Windows system}. B+ also allows for using OpenGL for rendering, and it is blistering fast. B+ supports event-driven programming and allows you to interact with the OS in a more natural and cohesive way.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well it's that to!

weebo(Posted 2004) [#6]
thanks Brice and co.

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#7]
I still cant find half of the things Brice Manuel said! Like images to system ram or video ram, Open GL, and a few others.

andy_mc(Posted 2004) [#8]
weebo, blitz plus is completely different to blitz3D, did you even read the description before buying it? And the thing with blitz not working on your version of XP, I suggest you check your drivers and possible re-install XP and there's obviously something wrong with your system.

aside from my rudeness there, blitz plus is good, especially for writing applications, and games for slower PC's.

767pilot(Posted 2004) [#9]
so its worth buying blitz 3d and blitz+ so you can write applications and games?

weebo(Posted 2004) [#10]
Telesto, I was not referring to Blitz3D, I was referring to Blitz Basic which I own, and Blitz Plus which I had to buy because Blitz Basic does not work with XP, due to it incorrectly detecting my internet explorer 6 as older than version 4.

I think I can grasp the difference between Blitz Plus and Blitz...whats this....3D?

tonyg(Posted 2004) [#11]
Weebo, Not sure whether it helps but wasn't the IE4 vs IE6 problem fixed in BB2D 1.60?
What version are you running?

weebo(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yes I figured a fix might come out, but I could not find it anywhere so I upgraded. Not to worry, I'm feeling at home with plus already, I just feel abit scammed when the manual still refers to Blitz Basic, and they result is the same.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#13]
yer not scammed... You can buy a 1953 ford... and then buy a 2004 ford... both will get you around town just fine, but you won't feel scammed for doing so.

B+ is the successor. It does most everything blitzbasic did and a few things it didn't. You couldn't make windows apps in blitzbasic. Nor could you run the programs you write on WindowsNT4. Nor could you run your programs on a machine that didn't have directx7 installed.

Personally I think blitz+ is still too unfinished to be called a complete product. But what it does, it does well.

weebo(Posted 2004) [#14]
ok well let's leave it at that then.

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#15]
weebo, if you still want to use your copy of Blitz Basic 2D, the fix is a tiny 39KB zip file. Email support and they will send you one I'm sure.