FPS help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/FPS help

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#1]
im making a sort of FPS in the middle ages(bows, swords, etc...) im working on combat. ive got it so where the arrow hits the zombie and he groans. i did this by measuring the entity distance between the arrow, and the zombie. i measured it saying: there are 5 units between the head and the center of the zombie, so the arrow needs to be within 5 units of the center of the zombie. sounded good at first, but that means 5 units from the center in any direction. 5 units to the side is a perfect miss, and he still dies...

anyone know a better way to do this?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
Why ONLY check 5 units?

Why not do something like:
[pseudocode]
IF (X amount is less than 1.5 from center) AND (Y amount is less than 5 units from center) THEN (arrow struck zombie)
[/pseudocode]
Or you could just set up Collisions between your arrows and zombies and let Blitz do the work for you.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#3]
But ... his code works and is simple. I don't see any inherent problem with what he's doing. If it works and does what you want it to, rock on.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
If your ground is flat then you can measure the entitydistance of them, and also get the difference in Y height. Do something like:

If abs(EntityY(arrow,true)-EntityY(zombie,true))<5 then

Make sure the entity distance between the two is close though.