.3ds animation?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/.3ds animation?

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#1]
i made a .3ds file thru "anim8or", i animated a run cycle, i call it up and extract, then animate it just like i do with a .b3d file, but it says it has no animation....

can u animate a .3ds file in Blitz3d? or is there a different way i hav to do it?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
What type of animation? Skeletal or Hierarchical?

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#3]
i think it was skeletal

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
3ds file format does not support skeletal animation. That kind of animation can be done in anim8or, but there is no way to export the animation. For animating and exporting b3d meshes I recommend CharacterFX: it's very cheap and has powerful animation tools. The only free tool for that purpose is Pacemaker.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#5]
3ds doesn't support skeletal animation, so you can't use this format at all. If Anim8or doesn't export to b3d, then .x might work, but it will need to be converted to b3d before being loaded in Blitz. B3d is the only format Blitz can get skeletal animation from. Latter versions of the .x format support it, but Blitz can't read them. And 3ds doesn't have any support for skeletal animation at all.

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#6]
i got CFX, and i got the file to run in my game. i just haven't figured out how to add and delete frames inside CFX...

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
On the Keyframe Editor there are buttons with a plus sign superimposed on a key.

Jellon(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks, this helped me alot. I had the same problem. No, anim8 doesn't support b3d, and it only does skeletal animation :(

Lordon(Posted 2004) [#9]
that's keyframes, i need to modify the max amount of frames the animation has, right now i only hav 48 frames, but i need more for other animations

there's a window that says "Total Frames" but when i change it it doesn't increase the max amount of frames...

Jellon(Posted 2004) [#10]
*Frustrated* Ok, I got PaceMaker but it only supports 1500 polygons? Even the most simplistic 3DS that I make in anim8 has too many, so I can't make something even decent in anim8 and then use Pacemaker to animate it :( Any suggestions/comments?

<Yeah I know I didn't start this topic, but it just fit right in with the topic. Sorry if it bothers anyone.>

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
@Jellon: How many polygons are your models? More than 1500 could be reasonable, but not MUCH more, and it sounds like yours are much more. After all, you say:
"Even the most simplistic 3DS that I make in anim8 has too many"
I generally do around (ie. sometimes more, sometimes less) 1500 polygons for a human character.

@Lissesul: I'm rather curious what is happening, since typing in a new number in the Total Frames box is precisely how to change the number of frames.