YaY! I'm new!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/YaY! I'm new!

Dran(Posted 2004) [#1]
I just bought BlitzPlus! Will be posting my first game soon! Pride of Ownership! Dude, this is cool.

So, anyway, how exactly do 'pointers' work in Blitz? And 'Types' are not really like C++ Classes at all... how does one organize functions when they do not belong to objects?

Thanks for listening. This is soooooo cool!!! I'm using the 'Algorithm' skin, what skin do you people use?

Andy(Posted 2004) [#2]
Aquabars, Bordello or Butch...

Aquabars cause it's simple and easy on the eyes... Bordello and butch 'cause they make me laugh!

Andy

Dran(Posted 2004) [#3]
Oh, one more question... I can't get to that unofficial forum blitzcoder.com no matter how much I try. I click on peoples' links to it, I type the address into my address bar... no matter how hard I press the keys it won't work...

Warren(Posted 2004) [#4]
Blitz isn't object oriented, so you need to check any desire for classes and methods at the door.

TYPEs are a closer relation to structs than classes. They contain data members, not functions.

Dran(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well, yeah I guess I knew that... but I've never actually used Structs. My programs will look object-oriented rather or not they are, I guess.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#6]
"no matter how hard I press the keys it won't work..."
You're kidding, right?

Here's the link: http://www.blitzcoder.com/

Works fine for me...

Dran(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hmmm..... wierd how your link worked even though all the other ones I've found and tried didn't. Thanks :)

And of course I'm kidding.

puki(Posted 2004) [#8]
Welcome to the community "Dran". Wow, just bought BlitzPlus and already you are about to release your first game - good stuff.

Dran(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'll probably have it up Monday or Tuesday-- it took me two days to write (on the demo), then I spent probably three more days of work improving it. I may spend more days improving it, seeing as I want to add a main menu and make the enemies' AI's work better. But I'm kinda busy this weekend.

(edit) And thanks for the welcome!

BlackTower(Posted 2004) [#10]
blitzcoder.com was down for a day (or two) at that moment you've tried.

Furthermore, types in blitz are not like classes in C++, but like structs in C++..

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#11]
Welcome, grab a seat and a cup of coffee, we'll be doing the bonding session later, but now... a few words from puki.

(that's bondING)

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#12]
Welcome yall.

Wow I am suprised pepole havent told you about me!

Well let me introduce my self.

My name Is Sir Agamer. (ohnest)
Every one looks up to me here as I am just such a nice guy.

Every one loves to read my posts as they are always so easy to read.

See every one loves me and I am also like as I am so good at coding.

All the above is true I promise you

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#13]

how does one organize functions when they do not belong to objects?

The following is an example of pseudo classes in Blitz, using a standard naming convention and a 'this' pointer as the first argument of your 'methods':

Type ball
	Field	x#,y#
	Field	vx#,vy#
End Type

Global BallImage

Function UpdateBall(b.ball)
	b\x=b\x+b\vx
	b\y=b\y+b\vy
End Function

Function DrawBall(b.ball)
	DrawImage BallImage,b\x,b\y
End Function

Dran(Posted 2004) [#14]
:) Thanks people, I'm back from doing an art show now so as soon as I can figure out what I'm doing I'll upload a release version of the game. How do you people do version numbers? Oh well, I'll just call it eithre version 1.1 or 1.2 or 0.5 or something... seeing as I've already got an earlier (slightly earlier) version that I could call 0.2 or 1.0 depending...

And nice to meet you Sir Agamer, I'll get around to worshipping the ground you walk on eventually, I promise. Soon as I'm done mocking you behind your back.

uletus(Posted 2004) [#15]

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#16]
Thanks, I like to be worship hurry up and get round to it soon it is busy down there.

/me looks down

Yep 4 microbes it's a frenzy!

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#17]
See every one loves me and I am also like as I am so good at coding.
It's true, he handles code just like he handles the english language.

@Annakin: You have much to learn before you can become a jedi, arrays are fine coding practice, and they actually look nicer.

N(Posted 2004) [#18]
I wish Blitz had dynamic arrays. Static arrays suck.

Oh yeah...

YaY! I'm not! Have fun coding, Annakin and Dran.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#19]
You can redim them, or use types.

N(Posted 2004) [#20]
That's not a dynamic array, eBusiness. That's clearing the memory and starting all over.

Second option: that's still not a dynamic array.

Work-arounds suck, that's why I haven't used Blitz in.. oh.. a week or so. A session of C++ did me good.

verfum(Posted 2004) [#21]
If you like to use C++ then this may be interesting.

C++ in Blitz

www.EzBlitz.com

N(Posted 2004) [#22]
verfum: I've already written my own Blitz-esque API for C++, it's less of a hack and it's cross-platform, extensible, and utilizes the OO features that are so handy (using OpenGL). So, I figure yours is just not worth the time to use.

verfum(Posted 2004) [#23]
Interesting - could you give me a link so I can try it out?

verfum(Posted 2004) [#24]
The idea behind EzBlitz is that it uses the Blitz engine, which is fast. It also means that anyone who knows Blitz and C/C++ can use EzBlitz. Any improvements to Blitz3D will be apparent in EzBlitz.

I'd like to know more about your OpenGL engine. I was originally looking for a 3D engine that was easy to use, had good performance and used C++. I couldn't find any decent C++ ones that had a simple API so I decided to use Blitz and create a C++ API for it. Does your engine include the same API as Blitz - 3D, Networking, Video, Audio playback etc? Because that's the kind of stuff I need.