Smoke Trails for Missiles

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Smoke Trails for Missiles

Jamie(Posted 2004) [#1]
Greetings,

I am trying to develop a good way to provide a smoke trail for missiles within my game. I am using a sphere as the missile because the user will only see the back end of the missile (will change to a pivot probably once I have smoke). Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Jamie

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
Check out various particle systems all over the place. They all do smoke and pretty much all of them have a missile example.

Jamie(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks,

Anything specific I should look for when choosing one over another?

Jamie

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
Try them all and choose the one you find easiest!

Frankly though, it sounds to me like you should be playing more with blitz before diving into this sort of stuff though.

Jamie(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well I had implemented these trails using sprites and it seemed to slow everything down after too many missiles on the screen. I will play with some of the particles systems around.

Jamie

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
I agree with Rob that this is a pretty advanced topic and you probably shouldn't be worrying about it yet, but if you really want to play around with particle effects I recommend Noel's Lotus particle system (look in the Toolbox.)

Mikel(Posted 2004) [#7]
Particles are only one way to produce a trail, smoke effect. You can also take some plains, texture them and alpha them and connect them to your pivot point. You would also want to point them towards the camera too.

Jamie(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks for all that responded. I went with the Lotus particle System and it seems to be working great. I am still working through some of the colors to create realistic explosions, but the smoke trails are looking great!

Jamie