Best model format? Best model editor?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Best model format? Best model editor?

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello. I am exteremely new to Blitz Basic. Like most of you, I want to make 3D games! :D

Here's my first question: What model format should I use? Is there any reason I can't just used B3D for everything? Is B3D a good format to use for the game world architecture? For animated monsters? Simply put, is there anything in particular that B3D can't do?

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi WarpZone, you might want to go over and take a gander at the "Content Creation" forum. There's generally always some discussion regarding your question there. It's not a bad place to start...

To answer your question, the general consensus is that the .b3d format is very well suited for just about any and all content formatting in B3D.

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#3]
Okay, thanks. I'll go over there and look around.

As long as I've already started a thread, though, it seems silly to waste it. Especially since you can't easily delete or move threads the way you can in some other online communities.

(I come from a strong Half-Life community modification and editing background, plus a little experience with Serious Engine thrown in there. I mention this just so you'll understand where I'm coming from...)

I'll go over to the Content Creation forum and see what editors are availible. I'm having a little trouble with my modeller of choice, Milkshape.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#4]
You bet. I started this thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=35766
just today to help get an idea of what is available and what Blitz users are actually using. It may take a day or two to get a good sampling, but it's a start.