Making a racing game?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Making a racing game?

hockings(Posted 2004) [#1]
Firstly, I'd really like to apologise for the total lack of 3d knowledge this post will show, but this is the first time I've tried 3d, I've only used 2d up until now and I'm totally lost.

I'd like to write a racing game, but I'm getting stuck trying to figure my way around how to do the 3d.

Using a Terrain doesn't seem right as it seems I can't apply many textures to it (eg. I could do grass for hills, but couldn't use it to do road as well)

A mesh seems the way to go based on the birds demo as you seem to be able to paint it how you like.
Is the right way to go to perhaps make a terrain then overlay it with a road mesh? Do I create everything as meshes perhaps (eg. a land mesh, a road mesh, a car mesh)?

Also, I've read what the documention says about collisions, but I'm not sure how to go about using them to make a car move along a road (particularly a non-flat road)

Do I use a mesh for my car and a mesh for the road?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give someone with very little 3d knowledge!
:D
Shane

semar(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi,
there's some example flying around here and at blitzcoder about racing games.

I suggest you also to check out the samples which come with the B3D CD; if I recall fine, in the 'mak' directory there's one about driving a car on a terrain; that could be interesting for you, expecially about handling collisions on a non-flat road.

About multitexturing a terrain, as far as I know you can apply up to 4 different textures on a terrain. Check also the fighter demo - again in the 'mak' directory.

You can of course use a mesh instead of a terrain though.

Do I use a mesh for my car and a mesh for the road?

Since 3D collision system works between two entities, I guess so.

Hope this helps,
Sergio.

hockings(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks for the help guys. I know I'm not up to a racing game yet (I'm playing around with space invaders in 3d first to learn what I'm doing which is coming along well) - I just didn't know what types I should be messing around with and learning to use to head in the right direction. All the samples seem to do similar things in a different way leaving me rather confused!

The help is greatly appreciated!
Shane