Particle Systems?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Particle Systems?

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello

My intention is to build a particle system specific to my needs.

What are the general prinicipals behind making a particle system.

I`ve heard of single surface and presume the particles are pre rendered to a single surface (sprite etc).
The systems I`m more interested in is a full 3d system where each particle is a seperate `entity` (not literally) and has its own controllers for speed,direction,colour,alpha etc etc.
Q.What is each particle made up from (single poly etc)?
Q.If yes.I would presume each poly/surface would have to face the camera always?

This subject is totally new to me so all information would be usefull

cheers

GP

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#2]
I'd suggest you check out quads. They're the quickest.

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#3]
What are quads?

Odds On(Posted 2004) [#4]
A quad is basically just a square made up from 4 vertices. In a particle system it would always face the camera and that would be your particle.

A single-surface system can do the same stuff a normal particle system can, but it's a LOT more complicated!

A good Particle System is very complex and certainly not something a beginner should be developing. I recommend checking the ToolBox and downloading Lotus (a free single-surface particle system)

Regards,
Chris

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanx

By the way Chris I`ve just been evaluating your FUI system its looking very good!

GP

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#6]
Why not use 3d sprites?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#7]
Because every sprite is a seperate entity/surface.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hijack...

If I create a mesh and then use CopyEntity, does it create a seperate surface for the new entity? I am assuming that it does not because the new entity uses the original entitys mesh. Is this correct?

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#9]
As far as I can tell the EPS particle system uses sprites -I don`t know how its speed compares to other systems though.

Algo(Posted 2004) [#10]
I've written 2 particle systems using both methods and I'm not sure the single surface method is actually any better. Has anyone actually done any tests?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#11]
I know that I had to rewrite my renderer for my puzzle game twice to reduce surface counts - without doing that, the frame rate plummeted. It definitely matters.

Algo(Posted 2004) [#12]
More surfaces will definatly slow things down, but the transformation calculations and moving the vertices about will too.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#13]
Same goes for sprites - they're rebuilt from scratch every time UpdateWorld is called, I seem to remember Mark saying.