EntityAutoFade failing

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/EntityAutoFade failing

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello

This problem has been driving me nuts for days, I am trying to make a character fade out when a distance from the camera, i've tried using entityAutoFade and entityAlpha to achieve the result I am after (a standard range based gradual fade).

The object mesh is animated, i've tried .png with and without alpha channel settings, .jpg and .bmp. I've tried .3ds and .x.

I've tried Texture Filter (1,4 and 8) settings and I have tried entityFX settings (8 and 32).

My .x trees and my internally constructed grass fade fine, but my animated mesh just refuses to fade. The mesh is animated with limb rotations and I have tried exporting it from Max, 3DExploration, and Deep Exploration.

I really dont know what else to try in order to get this object to fade, is there a technical constraint on setting alpha that i'm unaware of?

DJWoodgate(Posted 2004) [#2]
Are you applying EntityAutoFade/EntityAlpha to the whole hierarchy? If not see Countchildren(), GetChild() etc.

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#3]
My mesh has 1 kiddie and so I entityAutoFade'd it along with the main mesh ID but that still failed.

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the FVF format of the mesh?

DJWoodgate(Posted 2004) [#4]
Your animated mesh (Entity) might have one child, but that in turn will probably have children and so on. Try MasterBeakers function...

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=796

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#5]
WOOHOO!

I now understand, and you have got it working for me :)

Thank you very much indeed.