Command Reference

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Command Reference

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#1]
There are a lot of commands in Blitz3D's Command Reference that don't have an example to show how to use them.
Has anyone posted a list of examples for these commands.
And if not, it would be really usefull to all of us if someone did.
I don't understand why Mark hasn't done this a long time ago.
We shouldn't have to keep asking the same questions over and over again on this forum,
just because someone new to the blitz community doesn't know how to use a command.
And it would be quit easy for him to give us a few examples of each command so we can use them more efficiantly.

Maybe someone can write a short tutorial for each command in Blitz3d, and place it in the Tutorials section,
starting with the ones that don't have an example in the command reference of Blitz.

[edit] If someone could give us a few examples under the "Blitz3D Manual forum" for each command.

If someone does, Thanks in advance.

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you want to get the ball rolling, AbbaRue, I'd suggest you make a list of all the commands that need documenting further so any of us who have a detailed idea of how the commands work can start documenting them.

This list would be best compiled by a beginner (which I'm assuming you are, please excuse me if I'm wrong) as someone more experienced would tend to overlook commands they knew the meaning of.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#3]
On this note, I initially (and often still do) had a bit of trouble understanding some of the terms used in describing how some commands are used. Because my background was not in Amiga basic programming or VB etc.

i.e.

This had me confused for a while

big10p(Posted 2004) [#4]
I wasn't aware any terms used were specific to Amiga basic or VB - I haven't used either, myself. That example you give is pretty comprehensively described and (iirc) was actually contributed to the docs by a user.

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#5]
I noticed that all the commands are listed in the forum, under "Blitz3D Manual".
But if you go down the list of commands only some of them have code examples.
It seems all the commonly known commands have the examples, but the less known ones don't.
An example is "NameEntity entity,name$"
Now I ask, how many reading this post know what that command is used for??

I also noticed that every command in the Manual forum has a comment section.
This area could be used to write example code for the ones that don't have any.
That would be the place to start.
If someone is really well versed on how to use a command that has no example they could place one there.
That would be really helpful to us all. ***** Short and Sweet Please!! *****
Whenever we click on a command in Blitz3D it always has a link at the bottom that says:
"Click here to view the latest version of this page online"
I believe this would bring up the example you post as well.

So the list is already made. Even the ones with examples could always benifit from another example.
I don't think anyone ever thought of this before, because I haven't noticed even one example code posted there.

PS. I am not a beginner programer, I posted this because I see a need in the Blitz community.
I'm not an expert either and I have noticed commands that I have trouble with too.
And it would be awsome to just click on the link at the bottom of the command reference and get an example.
Instead of searching the forums for an hour.
Again, Thanks for all your help!

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#6]
That reminds me, that button always launch IE, not the default browser, pretty irritating.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#7]

I also noticed that every command in the Manual forum has a comment section.
This area could be used to write example code for the ones that don't have any.

AbbaRue, that's exactly what the comment box is there for - well, that and adding any other kind of useful info regarding a specific command. The trouble is, not many folks (myself included) have bothered to contribute. :/

I understand your frustration at not being able to get sufficient help/info on specific commands, though. :)