The beginners Project we started...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/The beginners Project we started...

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey everyone. I believe i may have gone wrong somewhere. No-one who was orginally interested is around anymore, cept a few people. Now, we'll continue to do this, but i'm wondering why everyone else isn't responding...

I'd like to know if i did something wrong or something, as i'm new to this sort of thing. :)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi Ross
i originally responded..but then found out it was a 2d game not 3d...nothing at all u did..hope u work it out:)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#3]
Everyone were told to wait, send out some mails when you are ready, i'm shure people just forgot as nothing happened.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hmm, well, maybe we can do two projects. A 2d one and a 3d one. I'll send out some e-mails. Thanks eBusiness !

Zace(Posted 2004) [#5]
i thought it had gone quiet.

:(

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#6]
well if its 3d...im in all the way...coz im totaly lost
,..i drasticaly need educating in 3rd person platformer stuff, the graphics i will gradly work on...

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
Nope Zace. If you read the posts in the General Board, you'll see info i posted. I also posted some stuff in Code for the week :)

Tiler: Cool. I'll set something up regarding a 3rd person platformer. I don't have any media for such a thing though, so it'll be cube, cones and sphere's ;)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#8]
ok give me some time(maybe a week as i can only give 3 to 4 hours a night) and i will work on a main character

i have to say my style is fun cartoony stuff...not realism

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
Not a problem :)

@Zace, i've posted my basic start up code plus turret movement :)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#10]
Ross
in the mean time if you need a mesh to move about (place holder) then this might help its an old file i worked on but it has animation (bit jerky but i was learning):)

http://www.btinternet.com/~coloured.pixels/Mek_Test.zip

puki(Posted 2004) [#11]
My computer has been down for a week. So I know nothing about the Blitz community for that period of time. I hope my log-ins still work for "Agamer's" thingy-bob site.

Eric(Posted 2004) [#12]
I thought that it was going to be a collective thing...Where I could learn. Making a game from scratch is not possible for me.. :(

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#13]
Well, i'm going to be posting my code sample every week, or couple of days. I started the game when we annouced the project, so mine is complete. So, you might wanna make an attempt at some parts of it :)

I can explain the steps i took on the site, if this would be helpful to anyone?

puki(Posted 2004) [#14]
"Rossy"

Just an observation, but maybe some people were expecting to sit back and you teach them - that was my initial assumption, as you have directed this at newbies.

When I first heard about it, I thought you were basically going to do your own programming master-class - whereby you built the code up, bit by bit, explaining it as you went along and people just learnt from what you did.

Personally, I would avoid taking this down the old let's build something together as it may start and stall, start and stall, all the way through and may never get anywhere.

If you were initially intending to do it yourself (to teach whatever it is yourself, your way) - then I'd recommend that route - then you have full control - you will be the master and teacher. I'd prefer that route.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#15]
me 2

Gamemaker(Posted 2004) [#16]
Yeah that would be cool... the code is a lil over my head right now lol

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#17]
I hope it don't use alot of includes. I always get lost trying to follow
Program Code with lots of includes. Cus you have to keep loading up the
include files to see what things are doing elsewhere.
But I am interested too.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#18]
Ok, right. Thanks for that Puki. I can do that then, seems a better idea ;)

You game will be one file. There's no real need for includes ;)

Cool, i get right to it then :D

puki(Posted 2004) [#19]
Yep, that is the best option "Ross" - people can always optimise the code themselves as they go along/learn - perhaps even share code - just to keep the community thing going.

It will be better keeping it purely aimed at new people - "tiler" and "Gamemaker" seem to agree with me on this.