Definitions

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Definitions

martonic(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello! I am new to 3d game creation and lack information. Maybe you guys can help! To begin with, who can explain the difference between a "map", a "level", a "terrain" and a "world"? How does a "Level editor" differ from a "World editor" or from a "Map editor" or from a "Terrain editor"?

Secondly, is there any such thing as a "Terrain (or World etc.) CREATOR" --as opposed to a "Terrain EDITOR"? I start with _zero_ terrains and an "editor" is useless without something to edit. How do I _create_ a terrain that I can then either edit, or use in a game?

Finally, how do you create (not just "borrow") a .BSP file? I don't see any tools that can do that - but they must have come from somewhere.

Thanks.

Marty "martonic"

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
Most terrain editors posted on here are actually terrain creators as well.

I think you can get a BSP compiler on the valve website (I might be wrong about that).

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#3]
A terrain is basically the ground, it's a 2D matrix containing height information, it's a specific object type that you can create with Blitz. Map, level and world means about the same thing, world is usually used when the entire game take place on a single map. A terrain editor is for terrains, a world editor is usually capable of editing more than levels, like NPC properties.

An editor is usually also a creator.

BSP? Try Googling for bsp editor.

And welcome to the forum!

martonic(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks. Is it about like this:

terrain = ground or surface including land, water, mountains, roads, trees and plants

map = terrain + sky + buildings + other objects

world = map + birds + fish + non-playing characters

level = world + actors + story or goal

game = sum of all levels

- Marty

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well, it depends on your opinion really. Those terms could be mixed and matched, so there's no real definition i'd say. :)

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#6]
terrain = ground or surface including land, water, mountains, roads, trees and plants
BLITZ terrains are just a surface only. They can be used to create hills and valleys but they don't include extra "things" such as trees, and plants. However, if I'm not mistaken, a BLITZ terrain could show a road for instance using a certain texture, providing that the road is 'flat' (doesn't extrude from the terrain).

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#7]
a terrain (in the context of a blitz terrain) is just the land, (usually including mountains and possibly roads).

Trees, and plants are usually seperate objects

Water is usually done as a plane (since it is level and usually you want to be able to see terrain beneath it).

Gord(Posted 2004) [#8]
A level is a 3d envoirement containg "rooms" joined by corridors in which the camera( the player) can move around.3d objects,may be placed in various locations in the level and possibly animated. Levels are also sometimes called maps, but the term map can also refer to textures.Quill 3d contains a good level builder which is called "Map Builder"

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#9]
A level is a 3d envoirement containg "rooms" joined by corridors in which the camera( the player) can move around.
That's ONE definition, but by no means the only one. A level could be just about anything you want it to be, it just depends on the game.

martonic(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thank you for your answers!

I hope you can help me with this one.

In the context of levels, terrains, worlds, etc., what is a ".b3d" file and how is such a file employed in a blitz3d program?

David(Posted 2004) [#11]
the b3d file is a model file, you can export with pipeline in the blitz3d, this is the best option in blitz3d for load meshes, worlds, etc...
you can load with loadmesh or loadanimmesh, but the best option for load b3d file is the pipeline, this is a library with extensions, you can export from 3dsmax lights, bones, morphing, meshes, etc...

you can download pipeline here http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/