Using a Mesh From TrueSpace

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Using a Mesh From TrueSpace

Eric(Posted 2004) [#1]
I need to know if I am doing something Wrong...I design a mesh in True Space, It is actually three objects attached with joints... I animate it in true space, save as .X import into Blitz3D, and Use the Animate command...EveryThing works great.

I go back to TrueSpace, Design another object, a single one. Add bones and joints, and animate in Truespace. Since this is one object, it is vertex deformation... It doesn't seem to work in Blitz, does .X not support this? or is it Blitz? Did this make any sense?

:) Regards,
Eric

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
as far as I know DX7 .X format does not support bones and the like.
You could import the mesh into character FX or milkshape or the like and then export to B3D from there.
(B3D does support bones).

Eric(Posted 2004) [#3]
Are you saying Mesh deformation won't work? I have to create multiple children one for each moving part? See I'm making a worm type object, It would be hard to break it into multiple objects.

Regards,
Eric

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
Blitz3D does not support DirectX file format with bones. You can convert .x to b3d file format, which does support bones, using some other tool like Ultimate Unwrap or possibly Stickman's converter (look in the Toolbox.) That is, export the .x and then convert to .b3d for use in Blitz.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#5]
of course, you will still need a program to create the bones in the B3D file.

Eric(Posted 2004) [#6]
So do you know how to get this done? I really need help.

Thanks in Advance,
Eric

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#7]
You can create your mesh in truespace, then export it to an appropriate format, but you would need another program like character FX for boning it, CFX can export to B3D.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
No no, Ultimate Unwrap can import .x with bones intact. DirectX 7 file format (which is the version Blitz supports) doesn't support bones but DirectX 8 and 9 support bones. Thus export your skeletal animated mesh from Truespace, then use Ultimate Unwrap to convert to a skeletal animated b3d.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#9]
The utils section of Blitz Research have a truespace to b3d converter that you can use directly. Save your mesh as a .cob file and TConvert on it. It should work.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#10]
The truespace convertor by Terabit is ok for static meshes, but it won't do bones or the like. And you need to remember to triangulate the mesh.

Eric(Posted 2004) [#11]
Well, I don't have ultimate unwrap, "Yet" and I tried boning my mesh it in CharacterFX...I'm going to need more time to figure that out. I've been a TrueSpace user for almost 10 years now, and have gotten use to it's interface.

Regards,
Eric

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yeah, the CFX interface isn't easy to get used to when you've been using TS a while.

dmaz(Posted 2004) [#13]
GamePak for TrueSpace can export directly to b3d with bones. Also, GameSpace comes with the exporters from GamePak.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#14]
I thought B3D support was only available via Milkshape with Gamespace?

dmaz(Posted 2004) [#15]
That was the case. I bought gamespace because it now has b3d export.

from the docs...

Blitz Basic: Generates a b3d format model file and one or more jpg texture files.

These three formats share a common export dialog.

Files:

Texture Dir: The directory where the texture file(s) (if any) will be placed, since it is frequently different from where the model file needs to go.
Frames: Defines the animation frames that will be exported.

Base: The zero frame from which all movements are based. (Note: It does not have to be included in the animation.) It is also the frame that is used to assign points to bones, so a non-deformed frame may work better in some cases.
Start: The first frame output.
End: The last frame output. Number of frames = End - Start + 1.
Output options:

Scale: Scales the model up or down to match your other game components. This is a multiplier, not a percentage. 10 is ten times bigger, not ten percent bigger. You can enter decimal places in the edit box.
Split Joints: By default, all points in the joint area on the near end of a bone are assigned to that bone. With this switch on, it will split the joints and assign them to the closest bone. This is a user option as some models look better with this on, but some look better with it off, depending on the model and the movement in the specific animation.
No Bones: With the Conitec A6 mdl7 format, which supports vertex animation, the animation will be exported as a vertex animation if No Bones is selected. For Torque and BlitzBasic output, the No Bones switch will let you output a non-animated 3D model. Bones carry a performance penalty in Torque, so use this option for all non-animated models. With the No Bones option you can select either the skeleton (if it has one) or just the mesh object itself.

Eric(Posted 2004) [#16]
I am upgrading to TrueSpace 6.6 This Coming Week, and then I will buy the Game pack, I have been in contact with Caligari, and The Exporters are 3rd Party. Let's hope they Work well... :)

I also wish there was a way for me to post photos, my Internet service carrier was just bought, and they don't have web space set up yet. I'd like to show what I am working on.