installation problems

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/installation problems

luggage(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello

I've just purchased Blitz3D but when I install it and load a script the window is just blank. I can't see any code. It will still build and run.

I've also just got protean for the ide but when i tell it to point to the Blitz3D directory it complains that it can't find blitzcc.exe (or something like that). I've looked in the installed dir and there is no Blitz3d\bin\blitzcc.exe.

any ideas?

thanks

scott

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#2]
This shouldn't work at all without blitzcc.exe.

You might try reinstalling Blitz3D.

And you can get updates by clicking the Account tab at the top of this page, then following the Product Updates link. Maybe an update will fix the installation.

luggage(Posted 2004) [#3]
that got it thanks! Just needed to install the latest update.

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#4]
I have the same problem. But I've already downloaded and installed the latest version of Blitz3D (1.87, right?) and it still doesn't display any code.

If I create a new file and start typing, I can't see anything I type, or a cursor. But if I Select All and Copy, the code does get copied to the clipboard, and the program does run correctly.

Sometimes if I copy text from another program, such as notepad, and paste it into Blitz3D, it displays the code I copied and pasted. Sometimes, it doesn't, though. When this workaround DOES work, I can click within the pasted code and see what I'm doing.

This is weird, and it makes me think (maybe?) the problem could have something to do with the way Blitz3D decides what color to draw text in. Like maybe it's drawing it the same color as the background. Is there a way to configure Blitz3D to use different colors?

This bug is still there in the latest build, at least on my computer. Again, I have already downloaded and installed the latest patch. If I click Help > About Blitz3D, it tells me it is Release Version IDE V1.87 Linker V.1.64 Runtime V1.87. This is the latest version, right?

Since Scott managed to get it to work, is it possible I need both the latest version AND protean's IDE file?

Thanks for any help!

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#5]
Blitz's default IDE gets its colors from the file blitzide.prefs, which is in the cfg folder.

All the color values have names which start with rgb_ and are given as hex values, so ff0000 would be bright red.

Big Shooter(Posted 2004) [#6]
but even still, when you highlight the text it should invert the text color, allowing you to see it. have you tried re-installing??

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#7]
It should also invert the background, so that wouldn't help. But yes reinstall, and search for the blitzide.prefs file in the cfg folder.

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#8]
Fixed it! Re-installing didn't seem to work, but I had a look at that blitzide.prefs file. It turns out, I don't have a font on my computer called Blitz, so the line

font_editor blitz 12

was borking everything. I changed it to arial 12, and it works just fine now.

Was a font named blitz supposed to get installed along with Blitz3D? Because it looks like it's not there.

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#9]
Just an update... I found the file Blitz.fon, which turns into Blitz 10 when I install it into my system's fonts folder. Actually installing the Blitz font doesn't seem to do anything, though. The code is still invisible if I use the original blitzide.prefs.

Why is this an issue, you might ask? Can't I just edit blitzide.prefs and use a different font? Well, I have done that, but I'm new to Blitz and trying to learn the language, and the help files contain code snippets in HTML format that rely upon the Blitz font to display properly. For example, in Blitz3D\Tutorials\gettingstarted.html

Even if I move it from C:\Blitz3D\cfg to C:\WINNT\Fonts, the "Blitz" font doesn't work. I can change the font specified in blitzide.prefs easily enough, but it looks like the only way to do that in the help/tutorial files is to go through each HTML file and change dozens or hundreds of font tags. :( I would rather just fix the borked font file, if that's possible.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#10]
That font should be in there by default. Are you using NVidia drivers, by any chance?

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#11]
*sigh* Yes... let me guess. NVidia is the one company that I should never, ever trust to play nicely with Blitz? >.<