Fog efects?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Fog efects?

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#1]
I don't know how they did it in silent hill, but I have given it a good shot. I made a terrain1 and put it in, then
made a second terrain2 and applied a blurr filter and overlaid the first terrain so that it looks like mist being
blown across the landscape. It looks pretty darn good accept for when I happen to travel under it.
So my first question is, is it possible to texture both sides of the mist terrain? How?

Also I was wondering if placing two verry detailed terrains
together in one map like that will result in major slowdown?
I have terrain detail set to 3000, and 2000. So is there a
polly limit I should live by?

Shane(Posted 2004) [#2]
Could you make a copy of the misty terrain and use FlipMesh on it then decide which one to view depending on whether you are on top or underneath?

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#3]
I thought about that trick but either it would cause a slow down or the parts that are still visable would become
invisable and that would not look real either.
Also a terrain is not a mesh its a matrix...I think.
So mabye reverse vertex order but I am scared that would cause a slowdown also.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#4]
I would like to see code on how you applied the filter! I don't know how to do that.
-RZ

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#5]
sure its simple. I think you missunderstood me though.When I said blurr filter I just ment a photoshop filter. I used
the "wind filter". Then scrolled the texture for animation.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#6]
Wont that 'disable-backface-culling' EntityFX command stop the underside of the mist terrain from being omitted from the renderer??

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yep, entityfx terrain2,16

However, with the alpha, bits of it might look a bit weird when triangles overlap.

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#8]
Ya terrain2,16 works I can see on both sides of the terrain2
and your right MR Farly it looks kinda wierd... but when its loaded into a more leval landscape and terrain2 is scaled as a high landscape it kinda looks like the northern lights!kinda.
So how do you think they got that efect in silent hill ?