run .exe-files on other machines

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/run .exe-files on other machines

Mimi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Dear community,

Why do my .exe-files not run on other machines? Do I have to produce an installation package including .dll's? If yes, how? Or what's wrong?
Thanx.

semar(Posted 2004) [#2]
BlitzPlus exes should work on any machine running win 9X,NT and 2000/XP.

Blitz3D and Blitz2D exes need DirectX 7 to be installed, in order to run.

If you are using non standard DLLs, you have to install it in the same directory where your exe is located.

Could you be more specific about the troubles you are experiencing with ?

Sergio.

Mimi(Posted 2004) [#3]
I am using B+
I am not using any special DLLs, as far as I know ...
I am using GUI functions (so Direct X)
The "other machines" have Win2000, like my computer (the one where I produce the .exe-files)
Mimi

Mimi(Posted 2004) [#4]
... and the error message I get is not very informative:
"-----.exe" produced an error and was closed
mimi

semar(Posted 2004) [#5]
Which graphic setting do you use in your program ? Perhaps the target pc can't work with the resolution you use on your development pc.

Try to use a simply windowed mode proggy like:
Graphics 640,480,16,2
setbuffer backbuffer()
text 0,0,"test"
flip
waitkey
end

make an exe and check if it works on the other pcs.

Sergio.

Mimi(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yes, it works.

In my other program I am not using the "graphics"-command at all, only windows with canvases. So I guess the error cannot be because of the wrong graphics resolution, can it?

mimi

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#7]
Have a read of this FAQ entry and see if it helps:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/faq/faq_entry.php?id=20

I'd *guess* it just can't find its files. (Also make sure you're not using floats for object handles.)

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#8]
Also is your artwork, "canvas" in the correct directory. Pathways are pretty specific.
-RZ

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#9]
sorry to dig this out, but i am experiencing the same problem now... i have uploaded the dedicated server of our upcoming game to our gameserver (which runs under win2k). when i doubleclick the exe, the small blitzwindow pops up and closes again. no error, no warning, nothing. i even used the following code (which runs fine on my xp-system, but does not work on the win2000 machine):

graphics 640,480,16,2
print "hello"
waitkey
end

both machines have lots of ram, dx9 installed, and 3d-capable graphics card. where is the problem?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#10]
Are you using the latest version of BlitzPlus (or is it Blitz3D)?

Are you running in debug or release mode?

Try this:
Graphics 640,480
Text 5,5, "hello"
Flip
WaitKey
End

..and this..
Graphics 640,480,0,2
Text 5,5, "hello"
Flip
WaitKey
End

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#11]
its newest blitz3d version. i tried debug and release mode - made no difference. i'll check your 2 sources... be right back.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#12]
first source didn't work. second source: njet, nothing, nada... same as my example. damned... this MUST work....

battletanksII did not work, too!

very strange problem... i'll install win2k on my testmachine (i always have one spare computer for such things) and check it out again. i already tried filemon for finding out if a few dlls were missing....

heres the log:

everything looks good... blitzbasic support are you reading this? any hints?

b32(Posted 2006) [#13]
Could it be that is gets a keydown somehow ? Try Flushkeys() before waitkey() or else try delay 5000.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#14]
does not help. same as above.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#15]
on the freshly installed win2k it works... now installing dx90c and testing again...

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#16]
works too. hmpf - i cannot reinstall my gameserver, because it's 600km away from here ;(

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#17]
i am not giving up ;-)

i installed b3d demo on my gameserver - and now i get an errormessage:

mouse: CreateDeviceEx failed

and

Startup Error: input_create failed

at this machine there is no keyboard or mouse connected, cause its a server. maybe this is it?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#18]
looks like this is it. unplugged my mouse from my testmachine, and voila b3d does not work anymore...

time to move this thread to BUGS...

b32(Posted 2006) [#19]
well, glad you found it. do i understand correctly that b3d doesn't work without a mouse ?

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#20]
B3D wont work without a sound card, even if your program doesn't use sound. I guess it won't work without a mouse or keyboard either.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#21]
if no keyboard is connected, blitz3d works fine. its just the missing mouse problem. hope mark can fix it.

b32(Posted 2006) [#22]
maybe you could find some virtual mouse device ?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#23]
maybe, yeah, but thats not a solution (for me). our upcoming shooter will be a commercial product, and i cannot force the customers to install some virtual mouse device drivers on their servers... i don't think its a hard job for mark for fixing this issue... fingers crossed ;)

MickeGamer(Posted May) [#24]
Maybe this works.
I got Error 22 When trying to run an exe file compiled in Blitz basic 3d in Windows 10 64-bit.
You need to add "Direct Play" Component in Control panel Windows, Program and Features / Legacy components/Direct Play is there. Activate it then it should work good.

Or

1. Right click Start
2. Click Programs and Features
3. Click Turn Windows features on or off
4. Make sure there is a check in Legacy Components
5. Click the + to expand
6. Check the box for DirectPlay

Me having that problem today, and i solved it that way.

I got that Swedish Version of Windows 10 and in Swedish it is.
Start \ Inställningar \ Kontrollpanelen \ Alla objekt på Kontrollpanelen \Program och funktioner\ Aktivera eller Inaktivera Windows-funktioner \ Äldre Komponenter \ DirectPlay Bocka i den så startar Blitzbasic programmet direkt.

/Mike

xlsior(Posted May) [#25]
This discussion is 13 years (!) old - he's probably either figured it out by now, or created a new thread ;-)