Alternative Editor

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Alternative Editor

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello, i'm new to Blitz and am finding that the supplied IDE is really not my cup of tea at all because it changes the capitalisation of what I type.

I like to work almost entirely in lower case, using upper case purely to define secondary words likeInThisExample.

The default editor keeps changing the case of what I type, and I hate it with a passion !

I also hate the colours.

There does not seem to be any configuration for the IDE, so are there alternative IDE's that are designed for use with Blitz3D with command highlighting etc that dont change what I type and have context sensitive help etc. ?

Any help would be appreciated for this capitalistically challenged programmer.

Thank you.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
You can change the colours in the IDE. Goto the blitz3d directory and go into the "cfg" folder and edit the "blitzide.prefs" file using notepad or something.

As for the uppercase characters, i couldn't say. I'd imagine there would be a way to make the names lowercase. Probably involve alot of manual work though :)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#3]
The editor only changes the case on Blitz keywords. Your own variables should be unaffected.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
I think he means that it changes the commands to uppercase, and he's not wanting that to happen.

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#5]
yes indeedy, "endFunction" is a command, "EndFunction" is horrid! I know it sounds silly but i've been doing this for years and years and I like it !

Thanks for the tip on the colours though i'll do that :)

I'm still getting used to typing "End Function" with a space at the moment though, and getting my head around sprites being an entity or something ... *bangs head on wall* I shouldn't do this on a work night ! :)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#6]
In what language have you been doing this? I'm not challenging, I'm just curious. Most compilers for most languages are case sensitive...

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#7]
My last compiler is somewhat notorious around here so I wont mention it, but I was using a 3rd party IDE for some time and because I know the guy that wrote it he put in an option to turn off case changing for me ! :)

I hate anything that changes what I type. It's an old habbit from my early experiments with Turbo Pascal that I typeEverythingInThisWay :)

Roccia(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hi andy, if you want you can give a try to my NJABE (go to blitzshowcase forum). It's free.
You can personalize all the colors and others things...

It uses standard Blitz3d capitalization for commands but since all keywords are stored in a commands.txt file (in Njabe directory), you can edit it and convert the case as you like.Build yourself a very basic parser that load the commands.txt file and convert the first character of any line to lowercase.

Hope this help you.

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thank you very much for the tip on the editor I will try it out very soon :).

I do have one more syntax niggle, another thing that really annoys me ! :) I know i'm fussy.

I dont like cluttering my code with # symbols, not least because I break keyboards about 3 times a year and # is always in a new place !

Can I define a variable in Blitz as a float, for instace

var xPos as float;

Or must I always use a # symbol whenever I have a float variable ?

Thanks for all your help so far guys, I must say the sheer quantity of responces has been very positive and I hope I can deliver some good games to you as thanks - in time :)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#10]
First time you use it (first time it appear in code that be) type xPos#, for the rest of the time you can just type xPos

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#11]
Sweetness :) Thank you very much this is already much better !

Sir Gak(Posted 2004) [#12]
In keeping with what eBusiness said, the first time you use a float, the first time it appears, you define it with #, then it follows that you might want to follow an old practice of defining all your variable up front, with their various float/string/whatever appelations, and then it's all taken care of, without having to deal with it later. The reason I suggest this, is that I tend to NOT do that (i.e. I make up variables as I go along), and from time to time, I create a variable and then am told by the compiler that I am not allowed to use my variable that way, 'cause I already defined the variable a different kind earlier. Example, defined xpos# as float, then try to use xpos as an integer later, and get ears pinned back by compiler, You can't do that!