MAVs with compiled community apps. pls help!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/MAVs with compiled community apps. pls help!

snave(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just wondering if anyone has got this before.. basically I am getting Memory Access Violations when trying to run many of the compiled community-built Blitz apps (such as Droplet, xmlspy's MapEditor, ALE etc).. I've got B3d & B+.. B+ was only installed a few weeks ago and can't remember this happening prior..

I can run code fine through both IDEs and Decorator 1.8 works fine.. Code compiled myself into .exe also runs fine..

I've tried putting the offending programs in a variety of directories but no luck... I'm also assuming that as everyone else can run these without dramas, its got to be my set up somehow..

Can anyone help ?? or know where to start looking ??

Thanks in advance...

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
Most MAV's are caused by certain resources not existing (for instance, a variable containing an invalid handle because an image didn't load).

I guess to try making sure those programs are installed correctly (meaning all of the files/folders that are required are present).

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
Wild stab in the dark:

Are these apps coming with an installer or in .zip files? I'm gonna guess and say that - if they're zip's / rar's, youe zip/rar tool is not set to extract full paths of archives. If so, you just need to change the setting.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#4]
Here is how wierd this can get.

Just installed Lotus partical editor.

The shortcut generated by the installer generates MAV.
Go to the folder which is pointed to by the shortcut.
Click on the executable and create a new shortcut on the
desktop. No MAV. WTF???

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#5]
I've figured it out :)

When I create my own shortcut that works.

In the shortcut properties the field "Start In" is defined as "C:\Program Files\Lotus Particle Editor"

When the installer generates the shortcut. This field is blank.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
Indeed. That's not your fault, that's Acid's. He should either be setting the working directory in code or - since he used InnoSetup - he could have set the Start In field from Inno Setup.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#7]
Wild stab in the dark:

Are these apps coming with an installer or in .zip files? I'm gonna guess and say that - if they're zip's / rar's, youe zip/rar tool is not set to extract full paths of archives. If so, you just need to change the setting.
That might well be the droplet problem, make sure you've got the full paths checked or the various bits of it will not be in the right directory structure.

snave(Posted 2004) [#8]
thanks to you all for your help.. Once I get home from work I'll give this a look...

Its driving me nuts not being able to sample the great work of this community...

Thanks again,

snave

snave(Posted 2004) [#9]
Well I've got it all to work by creating a shortcut to the desktop..(thanks CyberHeater!) All runs fine then but if I try to run the .exe directly from its home folder I get MAVs... I'll keep this all in mind if I ever release anything...

Thanks again..