F1 Quick Help problems...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/F1 Quick Help problems...

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#1]
According to every userlib I have seen, and the text files accompanying them, if you have the *.decls file say for nSprite lib, and you hi-light one of the keywords, and press F1, it is supposed to bring up quick help for it... This is not happening on my installation, any ideas, suggestions ? *NOTE* it does however show the keywords as I type them, like if I type nS_ it will bring up a list of the nSprite functions to choose from etc.. The only problem I have with this, is it does not show the parameters like the values the function needs, or the return values... so I wondered why the F1 quick help wasn't working since the keyword context thingy is working. BTW: I have tried in both visual blitz, which shows the keywords, and in blitz3d default ide, and it does not show the keywords as you type or bring up quick help when you press F1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

EOF(Posted 2004) [#2]
Not tried the nSprite lib but the *decls file should look something like this:

.lib " "
DrawDot(x%,y%)
RGB%(r,g,b)
The important part being the SPACE between the double-quotes.

Once the *.decls file is placed in the Blitz3D\Userlibs folder you need to re-launch the IDE. The commands/functions should hi-light after that.

More details are in my Supertips collection under Command / Function Highlighting.

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#3]
The decls file will highlight the correct syntax in the bottom toolbar when F1 is pressed, it doesnt do anything for the double press F1 help.

EOF(Posted 2004) [#4]
You can get help docs by placing *.htm files in:

help\commands\2d_commands

The *.htm file needs to the name of the command/function plus the .htm extension.

Example
----------
If you have a command called:

DrawDot(x%,y%)

Then, copy and modify one of the existing *.htm files found in:

help\commands\2d_commands

Save it as DrawDot.htm

This help doc should open when pressing F1 twice over the DrawDot command.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2004) [#5]
Or just use Cod2Doc which creates automatically the .decls file + the htm help file!!

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#6]
You know, I tried Cod2Doc on it, and it took me forever to get it to work... it would be better if Cod2Doc would take all the functions out of the files, and add each one to it's own self named html file, so you could then just take those html files and throw them in the commands2d folder and voila instant help files for nSprite lib help. But, the next best thing I did, was take the output from cod2doc and compile it to a chp file, and now use it in another window and switch back and forth between the ide and that window.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2004) [#7]
StOrM3: Cod2Doc does exactly what you want it to do!! It creates one html file per function + an userlib with all the functions. I am afraid that you loose some time for nothing, sorry...
To do that (with Cod2Doc v1.1): click on the tab "functions only", click on "Function higlighted in the IDE + quick help F1", choose the name of the userlib you want to create, choose between 2D or 3D command, check that the path to Blitz is correct. Then you select your file or the directory, and you click on "Start".
That's it!! Exactly what you want!!! One .html file per function (in fact it's an .htm file) + an userlib file for all your functions!!
Please notice that the userlib file is directly placed in the userlib directory of Blitz AND that the htm files are directly placed in the command directory of Blitz (assuming you gave the right path to Blitz).
Now just open Blitz, type one of your command, type F1 one time, then another time, and everything is there!!!

If you want to distribute these files, just take them from the blitz directories...

Is the documentation not clear enough on this whole point, or did you use version 1.0 of Cod2Doc??

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#8]
I didn't see how to make it do that with 1.1.. sorry I didn't read the documentation, I am a hands on kinda guy.. would have been nice in this situation it seems, as it would have saved me a ton of time. Thanks for the info though, I will still use it to make those files for nSprite that way I don't have to use external help file.

Thank you! very very much.