Copyentity with types ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Copyentity with types ?

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#1]
If I have a type, and an array of a type, and I want to copy an item from the array of the type, to another array position in a different array of the same type though, can I do this, and bring all the fields etc with it ? ex.
player(ID_player) = copyentity(lvlgrid(countz%,countx%))

to copy everything the field variables, mesh handles etc.. or do I have to manually copy each field in a loop ?

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hmmm, try to explain in plain english what is inside what, and what you want to copy to what.

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#3]
okay say I have a type

type something
field mesh
field locx
field locy
end type

Then I make an array of these types.
dim myarray.something(10)
dim player.something(5)

Then say I wanted to copy myarray.something(4) -> player.something(3)

Meaning I want all the fields that have been initialized earlier, say I had a function taht went through myarray and init'd all the variables for each array element.

and I wanted to copy the whole array element position 4, all the fields and their values etc.. to player array element 3. so that player array element 3 contains all the fields and values from myarray(4).

So what I want to know is, can I use

player(3) = copyentity(myarray(4))

Will this work like I want it to, copying all fields etc.. ? If not, I guess I will just have to manually copy the fields, I was just trying to make a shortcut, by copying the whole entity fields and all, then only changing the fields that need to be changed, to make the code shorter.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#4]
A type instance isn't an entity so using copyentity doesn't work.

If you want a completely new/separate type instance to be created when copying, you're going to have to do it all manually, like:

player(3) = New something
player(3)\mesh = myarray(4)\mesh
player(3)\locx = myarray(4)\locx
player(3)\locy = myarray(4)\locy

All a bit messy but if you pack it away into your own copy_type() function, you only have to look at it once. ;)

Or, if you simply want to make player(3) reference the same type instance as myarray(4), you can of course just do:

player(3) = myarray(4)