3d stuff

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/3d stuff

Grey(Posted 2004) [#1]
Helo world! I bought Blitz3d yesterday and i am pretty well clueless so far. Ive got Blitz3d and Maplet but how am i supposed to create 3d objects for this game? do I need more software? (im pretty new to programming- my only experience being with a restricted program called Kilk & Play which i got a few years back. If anyone can tell me what im doing please do!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
do I need more software?

Yes. Blitz3D is a programming language, nothing more.

Grey(Posted 2004) [#3]
What sort of software can you reccomend

Grey(Posted 2004) [#4]
ne1?

puki(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hi "Grey"

You don't necessarily have to create your own objects - you can use load existing 3d models into Blitz3D.

If you are new to modelling and want to create models - why not try 'DeleD' (http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=1)

It has some prefabricated models (which are also easy to edit), such as houses and stuff - some of the models are nice looking.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
Milkshape is a great cheap modeller. http://www.milkshape3d.com

There are others, Blender, Wings3D, check the links section on this site.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
Also, if you just want to mess about the 3d objects, remember in blitz you have commands to create cubes, spheres, cone and cylinders.

I really recommend the tuturial for 3d, that comes with blitz though, accessed by clicking 3d tutorials. :)

And welcome to Blitz :D

Grey(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks ill look into that stuff. Yes i am new to modelling (and pretty much everything else for that matter but ive got heaps of ideas 4 games (specifically RPGs ang ones involving samurai) so as soon as im all set with this stuff ill b aiming to flood the gallery! :@

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#9]
Maybe you should start out making some small games/programs, sounds to me like you are way too ambitious about your first project. Really many beginners make that mistake. For a start, do a Tetris clone or something similar.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#10]
Tetris, Arkanoid, Asteroids... these all have been done gzillion times before but they should teach you how to load, move etc stuff using Blitz3D. No need to plan the next "DOOM3 killer" for your first project.

Be sure to check out these tutorials:

http://www.blitzcoder.com/articles.shtml

Grey(Posted 2004) [#11]
I do realise how much work games like these require b4 they reach anything approaching decent due to my experience with my old software writer- I still haven't finished my game 'Shplogg Wars' and ive spent ages. However i am trying to make something presentable for this school project due in about two terms so the sooner i can get to the stage where i know what im doing the better (and no im not insane)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#12]
Then start out small, and ask on the forum if there is something that you can't figure, and if you got a bug, it's best to post some code.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#13]
I still haven't finished my game 'Shplogg Wars' and ive spent ages.

And that's why people are recommending you start with a small simple game. Chances are that you never will finish Shplogg Wars if you don't spend a little time learning in the shallow end before diving headfirst into the deep end. It's not a lot of fun, I know. I have a bunch of simple, complete games around here that weren't fun to write and aren't very impressive to look at, but without them I wouldn't have progressed to the point where I can write the games I want to write.

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#14]
You'll also find a lot of 3d models and other useful resources in the samples folder in the main Blitz3D program folder.

A good way to learn about Blitz is to copy one of the sample programs (along with any resources that it needs) to a separate folder to preserve the original version, and then start hacking around with the copy. Try adding features to it and making it behave in different ways. That's the way I learned Blitz.

The castle demo ( C:\Program Files\Blitz3D\Samples\Blitz 3D Samples\mak\castle ) is probably a good one to start with.

tonyg(Posted 2004) [#15]
Hi Grey,
I am in a similar position where all my programming has been 2D and I am now being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 3D world.
The Toolbox has some suggestions for the additional software plus demos to play with.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#16]
I look at TurboSquid for models... they have free ones nd cheeeeeap ones and collections/sets... Go here:

CLICK TO GO!

That is my first link posted... It leads to a collection page on TS but you can go out from there!!!

Collection is mine by the way...

-RZ

Grey(Posted 2004) [#17]
About the shplogg wars thing: yes i will finish it since ive spent a few years mastering everything there is to know about the writer i used, basically shplogg wars is cheating the system and creating something rediculously good (for that level). If anyone wanted I could try sending u the demo, but i wouldnt have a clue how! And again thanks for the help, it doesnt make it seem so difficult making a big game yourself!

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#18]
hi grey
this is a model with animation, something i did to learn lightwave
you can use this for practice, use it for anything you want

b3d file
http://www.btinternet.com/~coloured.pixels/Mek_Test.zip

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#19]
If anyone wanted I could try sending u the demo, but i wouldnt have a clue how!
Email
Instant messaging program (MSN Messenger, ICQ, etc.)
Post it up on some web space somewhere (and create a link to it just like tiler did above).

Grey(Posted 2004) [#20]
yea well if anyones wants it post ur email here and ill see if it works

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#21]
I think it would be easiest to put it on a webpage, there is a lot of free hosting services on the net. www.freewebpage.org

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#22]
Yeh so here is my input for making the next 3d killer.

Start something big(there is no point me saying not to as you will don't feel bad so did I)

Fail at it!

Ask lots of questions here
Work at it hard!

Do something simple

fail again

And repeat the last two steps and you will get some were

I know I did

So congrats on arriving by der way

O and your mmorpg will not succeed

YEs I know you will try to make one.

Grey(Posted 2004) [#23]
the hell is mmorpg neway? Ok wel in that case im absolutel NOT making one- I HATE ONLINE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#24]
Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Like EverQuest. Lots of people all in the same RPG, across the internet. They usually don't succeed due to the scale of the project.

1. It's alot of coding, some of it pretty tough
2. There's alot of media needed. 3D models, textures, sounds, music... etc etc
3. It's usually people who are new to blitz or programming that attempt it, and due to reason 1 mainly, it never really gets anywhere.

No-ones flaming you here, but everyone who has posted has the same idea for a reason. Start small, really small, like using the keys to move around a 3d cube or something. Maybe even start with 2d stuff just now, to get used to using the language; types and arrays and function.

http://www.blitzcoder.com

has some good tutorials for beginners to blitz and programming, so you might want to check them out. Of course post here if you have any specific questions about how types work, or how you code isn't working, or how to go about doing a specific thing.

And remember, when you post, always give a clear description of what your problem is, error messgaes you get, and maybe even post your code, to show the problem.

To post code, you can use a codebox. There are two ways of doing this.

(code)
put you code in here
(/code)

or

(codebox)
put your code in here
(/codebox)

Replace the ( ) with [ ]

:)

Augen(Posted 2004) [#25]
On the Blitz3D CD there is some good stuff to practice with. With the Blitz3D CD in the drive, Explore it. There should be a folder called Extras that has some cool stuff to put in your program to play around with as you learn. Also, there are a few Geometricks 3D models in your Blitz3D folder on your hardrive.

I wouldn't recommend trying to learn to model and use B3D at the same time, because there are plenty of free media that you can use to play around with B3D already.

Making good models takes YEARS of experience that most people just don't have, especially when they just start learning to program a game as well.