BrushTexture command

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/BrushTexture command

EddieRay(Posted 2004) [#1]
What does "index" argument do for this command? I guess I'm not understanding what the "texture layers" are... and how they related to UVs, etc.

Can someone provide a quick layman's description on how the "layers" concept works with Brush objects?

Thanks,

Ed

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi,

You can stack several textures on top of each other in a brush. Layer 0 gets drawn first and textures applied to later layers are drawn according to which layer they are assigned to.

It works mostly like layers in Photoshop or PaintShop Pro, if you are familiar with those.

They do not relate to which uv's the texture's are using. This is set using TextureCoords for each individual texture. There are lots of possibilities if you play around with TextureBlend as well.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
You can use up to 8 Textures with one brush, but they need to use one of 2 UV Coodinate sets (set 0 and 1). Usually it doesn't make sense to use too many layers. People oftenly use 2: one for the actual texture and one for the lightmap texture. As Fredborg said they can be mixed using TextureBlend in several ways: Alpha, Addition, Multiplication. There might be some limits with the latest version of blitz, 1.86. IF you want to be able to mix them with alpha transparency objects you probably better use Version 1.85. Maybe the Feature will be re-implemeted in V1.87. I hope so.

EddieRay(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks guys!