downloading and launching exe from browser

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/downloading and launching exe from browser

ryan scott(Posted 2004) [#1]
hey everybody, i have a little challenging problem.

i want to write a piece of software that will need to be launched from the browser.

just like the software you see here: http://www.rapidassist.com/launch.asp?context=swag&service=user

(I didn't write that, i just want it to work like that.. it installs if you don't have it, and then runs it. if you already have it installed, going to that page causes it to run. if you test this page out, when the program runs, just close it please)

I am not running ASP on my server, but I don't see why it couldn't be done with just javascript and activex, whatever they are doing there.

Does anyone know how to do this? i have been searching high and low and can't find the solution.

the exe will probably be a blitz 2d application.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think that mainly depends on the execfile command, but I think this stuff will only work with IE, who but Microsoft will make such a security hole? I would stick to normal downloads.

ryan scott(Posted 2004) [#3]
thanks for your advice, but i need it to run from the browser, so that its easier for the client. it can be done, i just want to know how.

don't care if it works only from IE.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well, get command that exec the file (maybe you can salvage it from the example site), then the rest should be easy.