Toon Shading Howto ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Toon Shading Howto ?

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#1]
Question, What would be the simplest way to Cel Shade or Toon shade models for Blitz3D to use and display ? Any simple way to do it in blitz3d itself, meaning a way to outline my models, and fake the shading ? I don't care about pixel shaders etc.. Pseudo shading will be just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you really want to help out, goto Tattoo's support forums and post a message asking them to add pseudo cel-shading to Tattoo, meaning give us a line tool, where we can click begin point and and end point on a face, and have it draw a black line auto curving / following the edge of the face we are currently editing, and give us a place to specify width of line 1,3,5. I could manually do it, but my hands shake to much to draw a straight line with my drawing tablet by hand. Also once outlined and fake shaded filling with solid colors lighter for top, darker for bottom of face, then allow us to re-save the new textures, and this would be a perfect world.

;') Thanks..

Ken

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
take a look in the code archives under Code archives/3D Graphics - Mesh

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#3]
Check this idea out.. I grabbed that CelShaded function, and made a small change to it, I used addmesh to merge the two meshes then I freed the lines one since it was no longer needed, then I also made that function return the new mesh, so now I can make a util program to load a b3d mesh in, call this function to toon shade it, get mesh returned, then used the saveB3D routines in B3D_utils.zip file to re-write the newly toon shaded mesh out to b3d, or .x if I used the direct x export function in the code arcs, which can then be re-imported into milkshape3d for further modelling, animating and re-export to b3d for game use.

I will post the util for others to use it, when I get time to hack it out. I think it will work.. as long as the original b3d you load in, is not animated, since the functions I have seen to save b3d files, will not do animated ones, tell me if this sounds like it will work,

or if you have any ideas to make it better, or better functions to use for this sort of tool.