throwing dice

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/throwing dice

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#1]
OK so I create a dice model in JTEdit [good program] and I load the .X file and can manipulate and rotate it. I can't seem to make the connection on how to make it bounce off a plane.

Yes... the plane is flat (A table or box) but do I need a physics engine just for this? I don't think I have treat the dice (two of them) as particles do I?

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
A dice bouncing on a table is no way a simple task, if you want it to act correct you will need a somewhat advanced physics engine.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#3]
You can fake it pretty easily (basically like a tumbling ball), but if you want real physics, well, then that's what you'll have to use.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#4]
I was just figuring on faking it... letting RAND figure what number would come up then a little bouncey for show and PLOP goes the number...

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#5]
OK there is no way getting around it... I was trying to be fancy but I really don't understand TYPE... When I run the following code:

; Define the Dice Type

Type dice1
Field face
Field X
Field Y
Field z
End Type

; ==-=-=-=-=-=-=- OK six dice are created
; NOW for the location of the numbered face
; =-=-=-=
; 		this may have to change
For t = 1 To 24
die1.dice1=New dice1
die1\face=1
die1\x=0
die1\y=0
die1\z=0

die1\face=2
die1\x=90
die1\y=0
die1\z=0

die1\face=3
die1\x=0
die1\y=270
die1\z=0

die1\face=4
die1\x=0
die1\y=90
die1\z=0

die1\face=5
die1\x=270
die1\y=0
die1\z=0

die1\face=6
die1\x=0
die1\y=180
die1\z=0
Next t
I get a " t is not a function " So how do I load the data? Should I just run a simpler array?

I am trying to set up a store of coordinates to show what was rolled on a .X dice after the number is selected.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#6]
This is not really a job for types, and you are using them wrong anyway. About the next command, you just need to write "Next" not "Next t"

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yeah... I simplify simplify simplify... I was trying to be too fancy and see if a new dataset could work this...