Userlib Not Found ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Userlib Not Found ?

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#1]
Okay, I am not using any 3rd party libs in my game, I was gonna use the coldet but went with blitz collisions instead, and for some reason when I exit the game compiled exe file on another machine instead of the credits I am getting userlib not found error message, and then exits to windows. On my machine it is displaying the credits, then exiting on keypress. Is this because blitz3d uses a userlib that I must include with my standalone exe file when I distribute it to other user machines ?

Someone help me out with this if you can, as I am at a loss...

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Presumably you are in fact using a 3rd party lib. Try removing everything from your userlibs directory and compiling; if you then get the userlib not found error on your machine you know that you are using one of the libs you removed.

soja(Posted 2004) [#3]
You get that error when you are using a function declared in a decls file in which the last part (DLL function name) does not exist in the specified DLL.

In other words
.lib "library.dll" <-------------\
Func():"Function"                 \
        \_______/                  \
            |                       \
            |                        \
           this does not exist in here (or the DLL doesn't exist)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
That always occurs when the .dll is missing.

Copy the actual userlibs themselfs(I.e .dlls) into the same folder your source/app is located, or copy them into the system32 folder.

blitz does *not* look for the userlibs in the userlib folder, it only looks for .decls files there.

Oldefoxx(Posted 2004) [#5]
If you are using DLL functions in your game, then you are using 3rd party code as part of your game. If it is a DLL
associated with windows, accompanying applications, or otherwise common to all PCs running the game, then you do not have a problem. However, if your game requires a DLL that is not universal between the PCs, then either you have to tell the user where to get the missing DLL and install it (for which he/she may have to pay a charge or royalty), or you will have to acquire the rights to distribute the needed DLL as part of your game (again, a charge or royalty may be involved).

It makes sence to consider the matter of ownership and distribution when you select DLLs for use in building your games and other applications.