Blitz3d for 2d games?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz3d for 2d games?

NoBoDo(Posted 2004) [#1]
I recently purchased Blitz3d, and downloaded/started going through a bunch of code samples/games. Some of the code has commands that Blitz3d doesn't recognize at all; I am guessing those are BlitzPlus commands that aren't supported in Blitz3d.

So that brings up the question -- are there things that BlitzPlus can do that Blitz3d can't? If so, is there a list someplace of BlitzPlus commands that aren't supported in Blitz3d, and hopefully any ways to convert those commands to working Blitz3d code?

Thanks!

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#2]
Mainly, BlitzPlus has GUI commands to create Windows-style interface for applications. These are not supported by Blitz3D. BlitzPlus also allows you to choose between Windows GDI, DX1 DirectDraw or OpenGL to draw the graphics, while Blitz3D uses DX7 DirectDraw for 2D graphics.

But maybe the commands that B3D has not recognized are commands from DLLs, which you can use in Blitz copying the .decls file that comes with Blitz Dlls in the 'userlibs' folder of Blitz3D.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
If you want to see the respsective commands of each version look on the Manuals page (link at the top of this page.)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#4]
Marcus, have you installed the latest update from Account -> Product Updates?

NoBoDo(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks, I have installed all the updates.

Some example commands:
Notify
EventData, event*
Gadget*

Looking at the BlitzPlus documentation, these seem extremely useful.
Why are they not in Blitz3d? I expected when I purchased that BlitzPlus commands would be a subset of Blitz3d, not actually giving more functionality for 2d games than Blitz3d does...

Has anybody come up with a library that gives these BlitzPlus commands in Blitz3d?

Thanks!

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
I don't really see the BlitzPlus commands giving BlitzPlus much of an edge in 2d games. Most of the new stuff for BlitzPlus are GUI commands, and to be frank, not too useful right now.

You can make 2d games in blitz3d fine, or even better than in BlitzPLUS, as you have access to hardware accerelation in blitz3d, like sprites, alpha, realtime scaling, realtime rotation, etc etc, which is not natively avialable in BlitzPLUS.

BlitzPlus does have the advantage of making you stuff compatable with nearly every windows machine with any version of directX. That's my main usage for it.

Dax Trajero(Posted 2004) [#7]
Personally, I'm using Blitz3D to code my first game, which happens to be a 2D retro classic.

Its done everything I could possibly ask for.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#8]
[quote]Most of the new stuff for BlitzPlus are GUI commands, and to be frank, not too useful right now.[/qoute]

I don't agree with that. OK, B+ can use more gadgets but 'not too useful' is, IMHO, simply not true.

Can you explain why you think the GUI commands in B+ are not too useful??

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
I don't find them to enhance your ability to create a 2d game. Maybe that came out wrong in the last post. The GUI commands are obviously useful for apps and such.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#10]
gotcha :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#11]
:D