Nested Types

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Nested Types

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#1]
As I keep running into errors, would I be correct to assume nested TYPEs (even of different TYPEs) are a no-no?
eg.
for fish.seacreature = each seacreature
   for seasweed.plant = each plant
   next
next

Dumping the nested TYPE out into a function seems to solve this but I'd just like to confirm that its a language limitation, not my bad programming, before I go too much further. :) I didn't find anything in the manual about it.

+BlackD

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
As far as I know, nested types are perfectly OK.

Your code example shows a nested FOR loop, not a nested type.

A nested type would be like this:
Type seacreature
  Field creaturetype
  Field name
  Field weight
  Field length
End Type

Type seaentity
  Field entitytype.seacreature
  Field x
  Field Y
End Type

In your FOR loops, make sure that you are not doing something like deleting a type before your loop(s) has finished (just mark them for deletion), or else you may get errors.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#3]
There is nothing wrong with the above code by itself. You can easily nest for each loops within each other.

If you were to provide some more details as to what you are hoping to achieve with this then I could be a little more helpful.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#4]
hmm.. yeah, did a little further digging and came up with whats erroring.. the code is about 10 pages long, so I'll use another example. I'm beginning to think its to do with how i'm using buffers rather than types..

for fish.seacreature = each seacreature
  fishie=createimage(100,100)
  setbuffer imagebuffer(fishie)
  ... draw the fish ...
  for parts.animals = each animals
    a$=parts\creature$
    b$=parts\imagepath$
    if a$ = "fish" then
      c=LoadImage(b$)
      Drawimage c,0,0
      End If
    Next
  SetBuffer BackBuffer()
  Drawimage fishie,100,100
  Flip
  Freeimage fishie
  Next

Now using that "example", as soon as it finds the first "part" which goes on a fish, and draws it, then no more fishies (in the ..draw fish here.. part) will be drawn.. let alone fish parts. ;) Is it impossible to LOADIMAGE while using an ImageBuffer? I could understand that, but then how come extracting the inside FOR loop out into a function, solves the problem? The ImageBuffer() is still active.

+BlackD

tonyg(Posted 2004) [#5]
Pure shot in the dark... what happens if you take the Freeimage command away?
You might want to add a a few debug commands in as well so you can trace the loop through your for/each statements.