Creating a crowd

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Creating a crowd

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello and merry Eastern to all blitz3d members

I want to create a crowd
I have in mind to use about 5 human entities with associated their own animated sequences
Then I clone each entity with the EntityCopy comand, last I change the texture only of each child entity and of course their position but I keep the same animated seq as the parent entity.
Can I expect a substantial cost savings for the CPU\Graphic cards ?
Assuming the 5 parent entities are made of 1000 tris each, may I expect to create a crowd of , say, 50 entities ?
Thanks

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
50000 tris, I think that's just about the limit.

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#3]
eBusiness

thanks ,
Ok 50.000 tris is about the limit, as far as I know , of the number of tris which can be rendered per frame but assuming that all the meshes are indipendent.
In my case I actually create 5 animations only(5000 tris total) the 45 animations left (45.000 tris) are simply cloned and moved to other positions.
I suppose I should save a significant cost in the rendering pipeline, am I wrong?

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#4]
You'll just copy the flat image?

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#5]
no ,I would like to render 3d meshes, but 45 out of 50 are clones(copies), no time saving?

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'm afraid not (probably depends on video card, but anyways you can't save a lot), but you'll save some video memory. But I have a suggestion: Cut down the number of tris, 1000 are far too many for crowd people, if there is a chance that the player will come close to the crowd, then you can swap the nearest low-poly models with your high-poly models. And if it should look like a crowd, then you'll need the same models not to be rendeered at the same frame (or It will look dumb). What project do you need the crowd for, by the way.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#7]
You should really be using a LOD system. As ebusiness says, maybe use your 1000 poly for upclose crowd people, cut down to perhaps a 50 poly for mid range, and then a textured quad for far distance.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#8]
when copying a mesh the b3d engine actualy clones the mesh and it's poly's duplicating the amount of polys. So 1000 per poly would result in 1000*50 is 50000 poly's onscreen. i suggest using sprites...

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#9]
thanks for your suggestions

then you'll need the same models not to be rendeered at the same frame (or It will look dumb). What project do you need the crowd for, by the way

A sport game, people watching the game make more or less the same actions at the same time depending on what it is going on the field

KovaSteel(Posted 2004) [#10]
Most of the time I`ve seen sprites being used as spectators so as not to slowdown the main core of the game(That is, the actual sport game).

Specially when playing a sport game, most of the time the player won`t have time to look at the crowd and concentrate more on the gameplay so don`t overdo the crowd!! That`s just a suggestion and it`s up to you if you wanna have a realistic crowd!