char animation quest

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/char animation quest

tvtom(Posted 2004) [#1]
Can anyone tell me how to seperate animation for triggering purposes: Lets say you have a human character that you want to walk and run. While walking or running you also want to trigger a punch. I need to know how to make the upper body "punch" while the lower body keep running or walking.

Would I animate a "punch while running" then a "punch while walking" (if so, how would I make him punch quickly without having to time the step so I don't get a pop in the lower body) or would I animate a run and somehow blend an upper body anim with what I already have?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Tommy

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
There are a couple different approaches. The simplest approach is the Quake3 style, having separate meshes for upper and lower body. Then you can animate each separately easily. For most characters the seam at the waist is hidden by their pants.

Another, more tricky (and more flexible) approach is to do animation masking by moving/rotating bones on a non-animated mesh to match the bones of a pair of animated skeletons. Have walking and punching animations running (skeletons without meshes so that they're invisible) and match the bones every frame on another, visible mesh w/skeleton.

And then of course an obvious approach is to just redesign your game so that the player cannot walk and punch at the same time. This feels really stilted for shooting, but for punching it makes sense. After all, in real life people usually stand in one place while throwing a punch.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#3]
The way I'm doing it is most of my animation sequences are
only one second long at about 20fps. transition from one
animation to the other is one second or less. For other animations like dying or flailing while falling they are
a little longer. The animations are played based on the
state of the player and only after the player has stopped
animating a one shot animation.
I haven't done all of the jump animations but there will
three basic animations based on the state of the jump
rather than one long jump animation sequence; spring,flip and landing. There will have to be a spring shoot, a flip shoot, and a landing shoot also.

I wish there were a way to tween in the middle of an animation sequence to a new animations sequence rather than
waiting for one sequence to end before starting the new one.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#4]
for puching while running i was going to make the character leave the ground like a quick short jump and punch slighty down to get some power behind it and the character does not have stop moving, this way you could do it after a run cyle then back on ground and back to run cycle without stopping.

does any one know how to get the current frame of animation ?

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#5]
try:
AnimTime# ( entity )