Multiplayer

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Multiplayer

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#1]
I want to include some multiplayer in Hover Havok, its a racing game. the cars move via velocities and thrust. Now lets say just for arguments sake that only 2 ppl will race each other at any time. So if I have only 2 computers talking. what do you think the best method of data transfer would be to make a nice game.

With so few players do you think its possible to just send xyz+pitch,yaw,roll? I also have to send weapon data like rockets, missiles, mines and such. and the tracks have automatc events like volcano erutions and things too that must me synced.

My initial though for weapons was to let each player send data that they have fired a weapon, or used a power up. Then let the host send the updated weapon data to the client, i was hoping that might help sync issues with weapons.

I was also thinking of using GNET to show games.. any info on that. I have read it has a problem causing big stalls in the game while updating gnet.

All advice appreciated very much.

Thanks

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#2]
Check out 'BlitzPlay' at http://www.blitzcoder.com/blitzplay/ .

Also check out 'BlitzGame' in this thread - http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum1&topic=003458 .

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#3]
ive got blitzplay :) just a general question regarding method.

Gauge(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'd guess that with only two players connecting that directplay would be the easiest, however "not saying that multiplayer code is easy" but its not that hard, just a little complicated with the timing, which i'm trying to figure out for myself. I'd run a for/each loop for players, and a for/next for bullets, etc. and yeah send coordinates and rotation etc. speed should be fine. I'm semi-working on a multiplayer game that will do something like this and update the x,y,z,rots, every 10 frames or so, the hard part will be the timing, and collisons.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#5]
-Edited- (Far too confusing!)