.BMP to .JPG

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/.BMP to .JPG

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#1]
Anyone know of a free program that'll import a .bmp image and let me save as a .jpg??

Cheers
Stevie

Edwin SI(Posted 2004) [#2]
a zillion can, maybe you can find a nice one at www.tucows.com ?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
MS Paint will if you have MS Word or anything else that installs the jpg exporter.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
GIMP is free, but frankly that is overkill just for converting from bmp to jpg. Windows already has built-in imaging software which can do that.

mudcat(Posted 2004) [#5]
mspaint will,use "SAVE AS"and pick what u want.

electronin(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yeah, but in other programs, sometimes it says something like "Error: file is not a bitmap." still a good idea though!

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#7]
Try Easy Thumbnails (freeware) at http://www.fookes.com/

assari(Posted 2004) [#8]
You can also try irfanview at www.irfanview.com

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#9]
> mspaint will,use "SAVE AS"and pick what u want.

Not in Win98 or 2000 it won't.

Graythe(Posted 2004) [#10]
Oh yes it does.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks to all - I'll look at the suggestions.

I did try using MSPaint (xp pro) and it was easy enough to save an loaded .bmp as .jpg but as Electronin mentioned - other programs didn't recognise it as being a jpg file so I wasn't convinced it was actually converting anything.

ThE_oMiKrOn_CaT(Posted 2004) [#12]
with xp pro, u can convert it using the preview thing. (the default program that loads up pictures)

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#13]
So it does!!! Donkey!!

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#14]
MSPaint seems to make a dogs breakfast of saving anything other than bitmaps, though. The saved image quality with some file formats is pretty shabby, I've found.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#15]

MSPaint seems to make a dogs breakfast of saving anything other than bitmaps, though. The saved image quality with some file formats is pretty shabby, I've found.

Because each image that is created or loaded in, MSPaint tries to save a bit of memory, by defaulting to save it as the lowest quality it can. To get around this, and preserve quality, always Save As 24-bit image, then load back in and save as Jpg or whatever.