Easiest 3d modler to learn

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Easiest 3d modler to learn

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#1]
What is it

I have cinema 4d
truespace
thats about it and what else is there what is the easiest to learn

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
I would say Wings3D. It is the easiest modeling tool I know of. However, it is ONLY for modeling; little texture mapping funcitonality and no animation. You'll need other tools for the other tasks, and switching between tools in the middle of your workflow can be confusing for beginners. For literally just starting out I suppose an all-in-one tool like Cinema4D may be better.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#3]
ok

Just out of intrest is 3ds max easy to learn

As I need to do a model for something I ma doing in school and it would be possibe and probally legal if I used Gmax for a a model I am doing for school

Would it

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#4]
I just got 3ds max 6 a few weeks ago and it is...easy...sailing...yeah...the easiest...ever...um....now how do I uv map my stuff....hmmmmm....

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#5]
yea, I also got 3ds max 6, the demo, and so far, it looks and feels more user friendly than the fifth version.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'd say wings3D also. Has a really nice, uncluttered interface. Well, I like it anyway! ;)

jhocking: When you say wings doesn't have much texture mapping functionality, what can't it do? I ask because I want to move on to texture mapping next and wings appears to be able to unwrap models, create a texture template, set UVs etc... what else is missing?

Gauge(Posted 2004) [#7]
As far as easy to learn it all depends on what you personally like, and how you work I guess. I'm not great with modelling or anything too creative, but for me making a model in milkshape is by far the easiest. I tried wings, and hated it. Truespace didn't suit me well either. Of course this might mean i'm simple minded, but try milkshape, though i did take a look at quill3d, and its pretty easy too, they're close to the same but quill 3d seemed a little less documented. Though i'd kill for metaballs from truespace/lightwave? whoever has them.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#8]
3ds max 6 is by far the best way to go if you've got 3500 to blow on a licensed version.
I even hear tell that there is rogue stuff floating around on p2p's and such for you unruly types.

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
Wings 3d and Milkshape seem to be the best for beginners, as far as I know. The former is free, the latter is cheap. Wings 3d is the most streamlined model editor I've ever used, all you have to do is learn some hotkeys and how to use Tweak and you're basically set.

I wouldn't recommend 3d Studio Max to anyone just starting out modelling. It's not cheap and it's not easy.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#10]
Milkshape is pretty straight forward, personally I find wings a nice distraction but I've never been able to model anything of value from it.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#11]
YEah, 3D Max is very expensive, and unless your gonna be serious at modelling, it's a waste of money. Buy your self a cheap second hand car instead ;)

DarkNature(Posted 2004) [#12]
I agree that Wings3D is very easy, but I would also say have a look at 3D Canvas from Amabilis. Thats not too hard to use, once you get to grips with the interface.

Have fun.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
Wings has some basic texture mapping functionality, and the automatic Atlas mapping is often very useful, but it is missing all sorts of texture mapping tools, even basic stuff like different projection methods (eg. I use cylindrical mapping a lot, but this can't be done in Wings.)

BlackJumper(Posted 2004) [#14]
Well I've just got hold of a cheap second hand car and I'm finding the UI a bit difficult to comprehend. Can anyone write a tutorial on how to unwrap a biped model using a Citroen AX ?

big10p(Posted 2004) [#15]
Yeah, drive into it at over 30mph - that'll 'unwrap' most bipeds! :P

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#16]
Unfortunately you won't have much control over the mapping. A steamroller might be a better bet, to apply planar mapping.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#17]
lol

I see the ummmmmmm

welll intligents of this post has decreased

Avrigus(Posted 2004) [#18]
Lightwave 7.5 gets my vote. Out of all the 3D modelers i've used Lightwave's modeler is by far the easiest! :-)

Gord(Posted 2004) [#19]
They don.t come much easier than Cinema 4d. But you need a book. try Amazon for the book.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#20]
ok IU am liking wings but have alsogot cinema4d

big10p(Posted 2004) [#21]
WOW

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#22]
why WOW

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#23]
eh1

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#24]
why eh1

puki(Posted 2004) [#25]
I think we are in for some amusement here.

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#26]
I personally think the ultimate combo of modelling / texturing tools happens to be Milkshape3D but along side of that, you have to give mad props to the Tattoo Crew! I love this program and have been using both of them exclusively now for quite some time. The new version of Milkshape will really be the giant model killer, because of the kinematics possible in it with the addition of a built in Physics engine, making great anim sequences far easier to achieve. Now back to tattoo, this program out of all the others, and believe me I have tried them all, Deep3D with weapon textures, and ZBrush, Unwrap3D etc.. I even have the source to a program very similar to these letting you paint right onto OBJ files, called Expressionist which the source came for free from GamaSutra source archives, but although couldn't beat the free price, it lacked alot of stuff, and the interface was cumbersome at best. Tattoo, knocks them all out, and the support staff is the best, every question, or bug I had they did their best and worked it out for me in quick fashion. So I am personally recomending these two tools to anyone hoping to create games with ease. Now all I am missing is a tool to make working with bitmap fonts easier, I want something that will let me load up either a gif or png file, use the mouse to draw rects around the chars and assign those bitmaps to characters, then output this info into some sort of ini or text file, and some easy to use blitz routines for loading displaying and special fx with them. I tried image packer which would work except for the fact I have to cut and paste each and every character out of the font into its own bmp file... Too much wasted disk space. Ooops, sorry got off of topic, but really you can't go wrong with these tools.

Thanks 4 Listening, and all you guys help, I can't forget the Blitz Community, you guys have been there to help me with all my dumb, or vague questions even when I can't think of the exact words to describe what I am trying to do.

Thanks,

Ken aka StOrM3 of Pain Killa Entertainment(tm)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#27]
If you're looking for a tool to do bitmap fonts with, check out FONText. Not only is it great for creating the font image, it comes with code for using the bitmap fonts in 3D.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#28]
'wings 3d' sounds like something from a bodyform advert

big10p(Posted 2004) [#29]
Which is kind of ironic since you can use wings3D to form bodies! :)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#30]
<OT>
3ds max 6 is by far the best way to go if you've got 3500 to blow on a licensed version.
I even hear tell that there is rogue stuff floating around on p2p's and such for you unruly types.

May I ask why you are so hellbent on promoting warez on this forum? You seem to do it at every possible opportunity...
</OT>

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#31]
Yeah, you best watch what you type.

StOrM3(Posted 2004) [#32]
Hey does FONtext allow you to take one bmp or png file with all the chars in it, and draw rects around the chars and specify what letters that one is, and then output like an ini file for reading the letters out, or do all the letters have to be seperate png files first or what ? I think I tried it, and was unable to get it to select the letters seperately or something wasn't right with it, can't remember. I might need to write my own one to make it really easy to use with png or gif files from one of the bmp old school font sitez liek with c64 demo and intro fonts you can d/l.

Anyone want to help ?!? I think I am going to do this.

Ken

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#33]
FONText is a tool to generate a bmp or tga image with all the characters on it and generate an ini file with the character coordinates. It also comes with excellent include code for bitmap fonts in 3D.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#34]
If you have the money I think Max is far easier to use than the various shareware options. That said, the shareware options are 1/100 the price.