Legal Stuff

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Legal Stuff

luke101(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am 40% done with my word game. Before, I release this game to the public for a fee is there any legal stuff I have to do with the govt as far as copyright, etc..? I will appreciate any help

Zephar123(Posted 2004) [#2]
personally I would do the poormans copyright. SImply ceritfy mail yourself the source in a sealed package adn dotn open it. If it ever becomes a court issue you open the package in the courtroom.
This is jsut my oppionion and nothing is to be held liable if foudn false later.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#3]
You automatically have copyright, but if you really want then go to:

http://www.copyright.gov/

It'll cost you about $30.

'poor mans copyright' is not worth the cost of the envelope.

Andy

Brendane(Posted 2004) [#4]
>> 'poor mans copyright' is not worth the cost of the envelope.

Why not?

xlsior(Posted 2004) [#5]
>> 'poor mans copyright' is not worth the cost of the envelope.

Why not?

You could have mailed yourself an open envelope, and stuck something inside of it years later as 'proof': there is no way to proof that the contents have indeed be sealed inside since the date that the envelope was postmarked... Definitely not beyond a 'reasonable doubt', which makes the entire scheme worthless.

So... If you really want to be able to proof your copyright, you may just want to pay the $30 and do it 'the right way'.

Or you can of course publish the source code to the general public to document what you have, but that kind of defeats the purpose in many cases.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#6]
>> 'poor mans copyright' is not worth the cost of the
>> envelope.

>Why not?

Because the stamps and ink used by various postalservices are easilly reproducable. A standard envelope can be opened without a trace, barcodes are easilly forged and invisible stampmarks can also be faked easilly.

Andy

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#7]
Having a copyright gives the owner the right to:

'To reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords'

I love it, I'm getting my stack of blank phonorecords out.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#8]
You can mail a copy to a lawyer for more of a guarantee of authenticity.

The original question seemed to be more about whether you have to do anything to register copyright, though, and the answer is no. It's a good idea to stick a copyright notice on your product, though, just so no-one can claim ignorance; a simple '© 2004 Blah Inc' will do.

luke101(Posted 2004) [#9]
so pretty much what you are saying is that I just have to finish my game, then just stick a copyright notice on the game and I'm done?

Andy(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yep that's what he is saying.

Andy