license of bsp, md2 and md2

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/license of bsp, md2 and md2

David(Posted 2004) [#1]
i cant found license info for this file formats

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#2]
You check idsoftware.com?
M

David(Posted 2004) [#3]
i can use bsp, md2 or md3 models in my game?

yes i check in the page of idsoftware but nothing

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#4]
well, while idsoftware talks about using/distributing/exploiting the games/engines themselves I couldn't find any reference to the legality of using bsp's md2's md3's etc.

David(Posted 2004) [#5]
two days searching info for this and nothing.

if i make a comercial game and after is ilegal, i go to the prision??? :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#6]
There are no licensing issues when using files in these formats (presuming you made them yourself). BUT, there are licensing issues with the tools you use to make them. This usually affects BSP and NOT MD2 (I imagine MD3 is the same).

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yeah, if you use Id's tools (or derivatives from the GPL source) you have to pay them a licence fee... and there aren't many other options...

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#8]
There are plenty of freeware utilities by indie's for making bsp's.

David(Posted 2004) [#9]
the blitz3d have bsp functions, blitz3d have license or i but one?

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#10]
You don't need a license to use BSP files. But if you create BSP files using the ID tools (very likely) then you will need a license for a commercial project.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#11]
CodeD: got any links? Sure they're not based on the GPL source? I was only aware of one but it was very incomplete...

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#12]
There are some freeware programs at www.planetquake.com I believe. The first one that comes to mind is QRadiant. I don't know for sure if that's an 'official' program or not, though.

David(Posted 2004) [#13]
i see quark in planetqueake too, but use q3tools.
i install qradiant but show me dialog for open proyect, but i no have proyect, if i cancel show me configuration of program but and push ok button exit program

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#14]
There are plenty of freeware utilities by indie's for making bsp's.
True for Half-Life BSPs, but not for Quake3 ones. There are plenty of free MAP EDITORS, but all of them use id tools to compile the BSP. Blitz3D only supports Quake3 BSPs, that's why I made BSP Factory, to be able to use Half-Life BSPs (previously converted to .b3d format with BSP Factory).

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#15]
No you can't copyright a file format. If you use tools that create that file then you must adhere to the liscence agreement of that tool. If you use an algorithm to encode or decode that file then that algorithm is subject to copyright law. Such is the case with MP3 and MPG.
If you use ids tools in any way to make those files then
you can't use them without permission from id. I believe
there were a few add on packs that were sold without ids
permission and id ended up owning the profits from the
the sale of those packs.

I would use tried and true b3d or x or your own format to avoid any later reprecussions.