Blitz - what's the EDITOR of choice ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz - what's the EDITOR of choice ?

DaxTraj(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've been using the Blitz Editor, then tried BlitzView

Which editor do the majority use ?

Incidentally, BlitzView has some weird keyboard shortcuts for routine stuff like Copy and Paste. What does strg mean for exmaple ? eg. to copy is " strg + C "

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#2]
The majority use the Blitz Editor. If you have no qualms about installing .Net on your machine, than the best IDE is currently Protean.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#3]
Protean, IMHO, is the best I've used. Try the demo for example.

I have no idea what "strg" is. Guessing it's a control key of some sort - but which one I couldn't tell you. Nothing in the help?
M

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#4]
I`m pretty sure it is the control key. Maybe strg means ctrl in another language? Just guesing though.

In answer to your question I like the simplicity of the original IDE after trying all others :)

Jason.

DaxTraj(Posted 2004) [#5]
thanks guys

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#6]
I use the standard Blitz IDE, as I find it a very nice uncluttered editor. I did change the screencolours and main font though:

font_editor fixedsys 10
font_tabs verdana 8
font_debug verdana 8
rgb_bkgrnd ffffff
rgb_string 7700
rgb_ident 0
rgb_keyword aa
rgb_comment ff0000
rgb_digit 7700
rgb_default 77

Overwrite the old values in the blitz3d\cfg\blitzide.prefs file with these ones to get a nice Director-looking colourscheme and editor :-) Much easier on the eyes, and it looks snappier too.

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2004) [#7]
Standard IDE... cant beat a classic ;)

RiK(Posted 2004) [#8]
Protean, no doubt about it.

Best thing I ever did for my Blitz programming.

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#9]
Standard IDE. like WordPerfect 5.1 - fast and efficient when you know how to use it.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#10]
Protean. All the way.

EOF(Posted 2004) [#11]
VisualBlitz because of these features:

* Ctrl-D to switch debug mode on/off
* Insert common code templates with a click of a button
* Quick access to the scancodes picker
* Goto 'function'
* Insert color
* Small install

On the whole I still use the main IDE with this color set:

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#12]
I use the standard IDE with nothing changed.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#13]
Another vote for Protean.

soja(Posted 2004) [#14]
Protean drives me nuts. Maybe I just haven't "learned" it yet.

soja(Posted 2004) [#15]
Yeah I kinda did the same thing. I tried it once and it seemed cool but never came back to it until after 30 days. By then I could never run it again... but I bought it becuase everybody and their dog recommended it so highly. I'm not sure if I should have.

At any rate, I didn't bother figuring out how to "fix" it, so I don't know, but I'm sure you could just email Rob about it.

gpete(Posted 2004) [#16]
Hi, this seemed interesting cuz DaxTraj mentioned a weird copy command....
Does everyone know that Blitz and XP support ancient(1982) Wordstar key controls? Copy is ControlKC and pasting is ControlKV. This works grabbing text from help screens in Blitz and other text sources. ControlKC will copy a graphics screen and you can open up PaintShop and paste it as a new image, this is great for saving in game pics so you can post your work in the Blitz Gallery. I seem to remember Control PrtScr can save to a file also (or something like that....)

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#17]
@soja

You seem dissapointed in the product?

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#18]
I use Visual Blitz (crap name, nice IDE). I like the standard IDE, but VisBlitz has some nice extras - and it's the most like the standard Blitz IDE (which I like. Did I mention that?).

Protean certainly has the feature list of champions, but .NET can bite my bum (until I get a system up to the task, at least).

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#19]
Yeah, Protean is a bit resource hungry. I've got it on my p4 2ghz desktop and p3 laptop. It's noticeably slower on the laptop - startup and shut down especially. Perfectly useable though.
M

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#20]
UltraEdit is my choice....

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#21]
im a protean baby :) works so smoothly and has everything i could ever hope for ^_^

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#22]
HELP ME REINSTALL PROTEAN!! I am going insane with the message "trial period expired" ...

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#23]
@WolRon

How does Visual blitz compare to Protean? that is - if you have tried Protean?

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#24]
I'm glad you sensored that last word...
Yeah. Really effective, since nobody's ever going to be able to guess what the real word is. And it's probably just me, but I can't seem to figure out why saying (knit -Ed) is okay, and bull(knit -Ed) isn't. Or was it supposed to be bull(duck -Ed)? We'll never know...

Oh, and incidently, I'm gonna try and see if I can get Eclipse up and runnning with Blitz.

RiK(Posted 2004) [#25]
I really cant say enough good things about Protean.

It has totally changed my whole experience of programming with Blitz. I mean, I was already impressed with Blitz already, but with a proper IDE like Protean it takes it to a whole new level.

To those of you who have had a few teething troubles with Protean I would really urge you to persevere. If you have any specific problems then try asking any of the regulars on Robs forum as I'm sure they could help.

I'm not usually one to evangelise about something, but in this case it really is worth it :)

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#26]
you've been told how to get help. Email Rob. Or buy it. Most likely it's a date sitting in your registry that needs reset.

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#27]
Would you buy a car without test-driving it? no. Would you get married to someone you havent has XXX with? no. Would you buy software you never got to try? no. ;-)

GrrBrr(Posted 2004) [#28]
I am not programming very serious... just some hours per month... thats why i first decided not to spend money for an additional ide... then i tried the demo of protean again... and again... and again... it makes a lot of things easier.... then i bought it and i'm happy :D

(protean rocks... i'm still waiting for the new version... Syntax Casing in Variables...)

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#29]
The majority use the Blitz Editor.
That's an old poll. I bet those numbers have changed a lot.

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#30]
@all

how do I reach "RON"? I presume he is the author of Protean?

[EDIT]
stupid question. I just emailed him.

Thanks all

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#31]
@WolRon

I believe you are correct. *MUST* be an old poll. I bet 50% use everything ELSE than the standard Blitz IDE today.

RiK(Posted 2004) [#32]
Hansie :

As I have the full version installed (and have since it first became available) I'm afraid I dont know *how* to overcome the timeout on the demo, only Rob could advise you there.

Of course, the reason demos are time-limited is to encourage people to get the full version, but if it it *incorrectly* telling you the time limit is up then I am sure Rob will be able to help you.

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#33]
@all

Got an email from Rob this evening. He has been very helpful, and politely also informed me that an update is "just around the corner" ;-)

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#34]
@all

Is BlitzView being discontinued slowly but surely? I had a look on the forum just now, and it seems like its been ages since an update was made available, and in the "general" thread there was a link to another project "Ace" (Author of BlitzView) was working on? Does anyone know the status of BlitzView?

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#35]
I believe you are correct. *MUST* be an old poll. I bet 50% use everything ELSE than the standard Blitz IDE today.
Go ahead. You'll be wrong tho'...

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#36]
@FlameDuck

what setup are you using for Blitz? normal IDE etc?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#37]
Visual Blitz sometimes. I doesn't really bother me. Things that make programming hard, is not knowing how to do something :)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#38]
Go ahead. You'll be wrong tho'...

Your lack of facts and anecdotal evidence has swayed me.

Chi3f Stadi(Posted 2004) [#39]
I'm using the original Blitz IDE. But i would like to use Blitz View, i has a lot of nice features.

Unfortunately it's not working with Blitz3d 1.85 at least on my PC !

Gamemaker(Posted 2004) [#40]
blitzview works halfway on my pc... but i like the main ide more, especially since ive changed the colors.

Pepsi(Posted 2004) [#41]
I changed my blitz3d ide colors and font to match the blitz plus ide. I love using the blitz ide, it's a step up from notepad even though the undo is a little bugger'd. The only other IDE I would use would be the MS Visual C/C++ 6 ide ( note: not that crazy, wacked, resource eating, slow .net stoof... yeah, I have a bit of qualms with .net itself ... ie: I will NOT sell my soul for it! ).

Warren(Posted 2004) [#42]
( note: not that crazy, wacked, resource eating, slow .net stoof... yeah, I have a bit of qualms with .net itself ... ie: I will NOT sell my soul for it! ).

You do that. I'll be over here enjoying increased productivity and living in the current century.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#43]
The bad thing about .net is it huge file size INMHO

p.s I acturlly checked this message for spelling mistakes

p.s.s and that on above

p.s.s.s Only joking I'll go now

Stoop Solo(Posted 2004) [#44]
"You do that. I'll be over here enjoying increased productivity and living in the current century."

Ahhh yes, on our rickety old 1979 technology with rockets strapped onto it. Yeah, get with the times Gramps. I bet you're not even running Windows XP! Get .NET or everyone else will be up-to-daterer than you, and you'll only be running DirectProductivity 8.26b service pack 2! Very different to that last century I must say.

Anyway, I still use the original IDE. There are other good ones, but something always seems to not quite work with 'em, and Blitz's IDE does the job. The only thing about it that I find a bit annoying is the jumbley list of labels and functions. Alphabetical sorting, as in BlitzView, would be advantageous.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#45]
yeah, net sux for size, but you're probably gonna want it for an app one of the days.

I think most fo us can agree that visual blitz and protean are the best blitz IDEs featurewise(disregarding IDEs still in dev). Basically, it all comes down to preference. People who use C/C++/related IDEs will most likely prefer protean for its similarity and loads of features. People who are most familiar with Blitz IDE will probably get Visual Blitz, as it is a similar interface with a bunch of useful options. Another factor is cash. I forget how much protean costs, but I think it's round $30-$45. not sure exactly. Visual blitz costs $15 I think, and it has all the features that are actually important. You can probably tell at this point I use visual blitz :P.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#46]
Would you buy a car without test-driving it? no. Would you get married to someone you havent has XXX with? no. Would you buy software you never got to try? no. ;-)

No. Yes. And yes. :)

And I did indeed buy protean without ever having "test drove" it. :)

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#47]
what setup are you using for Blitz? normal IDE etc?
Yes actually.
Your lack of facts and anecdotal evidence has swayed me.
Well, you know what they say, 'When in Rome' and all that.

Clyde(Posted 2004) [#48]
I've allways stuck with the Standard Blitz IDE :)

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2004) [#49]
Sorry about that trial period bug guys. Happens when Protean crashes during startup (I think), and I THINK I have fixed it. And there wasn't really any way I could fix that on the end user's machine. There will be a new demo over the next couple of weeks (which will start the trial period from scratch again), with all the features added to the release version (including type "intellisense"). + Some more.

Again, i apologise, that was a nasty one.

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#50]
I'm currently evaluating Source Edit, nice lil' editor, I had syntax highliting for blitzbasic, automatic indentation and letter case correction in no time. It also has a basic worskpace managing. Free. Worth a try at least.

N(Posted 2004) [#51]
Well, no reason not to jump in and resurrect a mildly interesting thread.

I use ConTEXT, with my own (funkalicious) highlighter.

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#52]
Used that too, but Source Edit seems to be slightly better. At first sight at least, can't tell for sure yet.
By example in Context I had no letter case correction, no workspace managing, no replace in files, no list of functions. Some little things. On the other hands there are a few things that seem better in Context. I'll have to check.

N(Posted 2004) [#53]
"Whatever gets the job done"

As far as I'm concerned, if you're comfortable with something you might as well stick with it (unless it's a bad practice, in which case you should try to distance yourself from it as soon as possible). In this case, I've been using ConTEXT since before I started using Blitz3d (about a year before), so I'm really very comfortable with it.

As far as letter-case correction, I could care less if it had that. Not really that big of a deal as far as I'm concerned. There are projects, you can't replace in files that aren't open, but if you open the files you want to replace stuff in your can just tell it to replace whatever in all open files. Function listing would require either an addition or rewrite of the current highlighter format, I think, since you'd have to rework it to adapt to a multitude of languages.

I'll have to try SourceEdit, I do so enjoy screwing up my work flow by switching development environments ;)

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#54]
I did I installed net1.1 oh well

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#55]
notepad.exe

Warren(Posted 2004) [#56]
notepad.exe

Also - buggy whip, butter churn, etc.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#57]
Well I was going to say EDLIN but most folks wouldn't even know it. :)