Render Tweening

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Render Tweening

Clique(Posted 2004) [#1]
I just dont understand it, could someone please give me an example of it?.

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
There's an example under samples/mak/castle for Blitz3d.

Just thought I'd mention that I realized there is actually an advantage to using delta timing over render tweening: less function calls. Just thought I'd mention that, gotta run.

Clique(Posted 2004) [#3]
how do u use delta timing?

Andy(Posted 2004) [#4]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=9

Andy

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
What exactly do you mean when you say "less function calls" is an advantage of delta time? In what way are there fewer function calls? And why is making fewer function calls an advantage?

Don't get me wrong, I use delta time and prefer it to render tweening. I just don't understand what you're getting at.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hi clic,

I asked myself the same question one week ago, and I found very good articles on the www.blitzcoder.com site. Go in the article section, you have TWO tutorials on the tweening, explaining step by step how to use it...

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#7]
With delta timing you call your game update functions once per frame regardless of how long that frame took.

With render tweening you may call your update game functions once per frame or several times in one frame if that frame was a slow one.

But that's all irrelevant because if your game stalled for 1 second it stalled for 1 second, neither method would have stopped the stall.

I would think that delta timing however would allow the game to get back up to speed after a stall faster than rendertweening becuase with delta timing

Game stalls
Update Game function called once with a large delta time

but with rendertweening

Game stalls
Update Game function called many times taking longer than deltatiming to catch up.

I doubt that the time rendertweening takes to catch up is very significant though.

Personally I use rendertweening over delta timing purely because I found it easy to impliment and it does the job.

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#8]
I use fixed timestep with render tweening for the open source game engine I'm working on, but I put a cap on the maximum update time.

For simple things delta timing is adequate, but it's pretty much unusable for anything involving physics which requires fixed timesteps to work in a stable manner.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#9]
Check the top-right of the last post, the one before your post....

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#10]
Lol this is 4 years old
:)