Light intensity > 1?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Light intensity > 1?

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm working on a shooter, and I'm using dynamic (hardware)lights to light up environments and objects when shooting or an explosion occurs. I want a bit of a strobe like effect. Unfortunately the hardwarelights in Blitz are very weak, and the effect isn't very dramatic. Is it possible to increase the intensity of the lights so they are brighter and more powerful? I can't find anything in the docs or examples on this.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think you have to do some special things to accomplish this effect - like maybe using a really bright lightmap during your explosion or something.

I believe Mark is working on a new blend mode that will help in this but I don't know when he plans to release it. I'd like to have this myself.
M

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#3]
I think the blend mode is for textures... so lightmaps will be better but not dynamic lighting :| .

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hmm, that's a bit dull. The realtime environment of apps like Maya and 3D max have supported this for many, many years. Or is it a difference between DirectX lighting and OpenGL lighting?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#5]
you only get the maximum brightness of the texture at present.
Cause its only vertex lighting?
which is a bit weak as you say. what i want is light 'pools'that are say pure white.

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#6]
Why not have an overlay mesh then, in pure white, or using gradients thereof...

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
might try that tonight. though it would be great just to have lights that do that.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#8]
@FlameDuck:

That might just work, although you don't get that nice directional feeling of a true lightsource. But maybe in combination with a real light, it might just give it the edge.

DJWoodgate(Posted 2004) [#9]
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/b3ddocs/command.php?name=LightColor&ref=3d_cat

What it does not say is that light color values can be greater than 255.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#10]
DJWoodgate: nice try, but I see no difference whether I put the light at 255,255,255 or 2500,2500,2500.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
What you should probably do for a quick strobing effect is alter the texturing of the models. After all, the current lighting model uses unshaded texture colors as maximum brightness, so for something brighter you need brighter texture. This could be achieved by actually swapping the texture on the model, but I suspect it would be easier and more effective to temporarily add a second texture layer set to "add" blend mode.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#12]
I got quite a good and fast solution, even though it's faked: when an explosion occurs, I just ramp up the gamma to the max with a fade-in and fade-out over a few frames. While this is not dynamic lighting, it sure makes things more dramatic. Good thing is that it also works with fullbright (prelit) models, so you don't have to tinker around with lightmaps and all.

I used the SetGamma and UpdateGamma commands to achieve this effect.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#13]
I think if you increase the shininess of the model then you will be able to increase it's brightness. I think Blitz defaults to 0 for shininess.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#14]
Nah, shininess will increase brightness, but not as dramatic as I want. I really want all the objects to wash out, like an explosion in a cartoon or so. Using lights is too subtle.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#15]
You could overlay a circular texture over the screen centred over the explosion.

Use additive blending mode and starting at alpha 0.0 increase the alpha and the size of the texture so the effect would be a circle of light which whites out more and more of the scene as the explosion occurs.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#16]
Hmm, that circular texture trick works pretty well actually, the explosions seem way more explosive now. Nice thinking Shambler :)

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#17]
The idea was an all encompassing explosion, I'm glad you like it.

Now I have to impliment the same in SARE engine =)