Texture problems using B3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Texture problems using B3D

po(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am taking my first try at 3D and I have made mesh that I want to texture in B3D. I have made an image for it but when I load it and put it on my mesh it seems to take 1 colour out of my texture and use that colour on the whole mesh. Am I doing it right?
ship=LoadMesh("ship.3ds")
ship_tex=LoadTexture( "shiptex.bmp" )
EntityTexture ship,ship_tex

-Thanks

REDi(Posted 2004) [#2]
Your mesh needs to have vertexcoords on each vertex so that it knows where its position is on the texture, at the moment all of your vertex coordinates are set to 0, and therefore they all correspond to the same place on the texture (0,0)

You can set your own vertexcoords in blitz3d but it can be quite complicated, or you can just do it in a program like 3ds max. (vertexcoords are also known as a UV MAP)

Hope this helps!

po(Posted 2004) [#3]
but 3ds max costs money!

REDi(Posted 2004) [#4]
Okay try 3D Canvas from http://www.amabilis.com its free!!!

Andy(Posted 2004) [#5]
>You can set your own vertexcoords in blitz3d but it can be
>quite complicated

Setting the vertex coords are easy...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=AddVertex&ref=3d_cat

Andy

po(Posted 2004) [#6]
He meant it was compicated for me, not you! ;)

po(Posted 2004) [#7]
I just waited 40 minutes to download the trial version of 3ds when it tells me it can only run on Windows 2000 and up!
@#$#$%#$%!!

po(Posted 2004) [#8]
3D Canvas does not import .wings, .3ds or anything that anyone would use!!

REDi(Posted 2004) [#9]
Setting the vertexcoords values is a piece of p!ss, but calculating what UV should be on a complicated shaped mesh can be bloody brain bending, or is it just me? is there a trick i haven't figured out yet?

I think 3DS MAX 4 will work on win98 po.

carpman(Posted 2004) [#10]
>3D Canvas does not import .wings, .3ds or anything that anyone would use!! <
You would have to purchase one of the upgrade packages to get all the import formats. I think the free version does import and export .x format which you can load into blitz. If you re-build your model in 3DCanvas you can create a uv map for it in 3DCanvas and do the skin. If you prefare a .b3d file format you could load the model into DECORATOR(This programe is free I think you'll find it at the BLITZCODER site) and convert it to .b3d.You could also texture the model using DECORATOR.
If you want to progress with Blitz3d you will need a few tools to help you along. 3DCanvas is a good 3D modelling program at a reasonable price.You could also try MILKSHAPE.
Don't give in.
>Carpman

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#11]
I don't know why no one has mentioned Ultimate Unwrap 3d ( http://www.unwrap3d.com ) but it's the best UV toolkit I've found, much better than 3dsMax and at a tiny fraction of the cost. ( Course it doesn't do modelling but you can do modelling in Milkshape or Wings or whatever )

carpman(Posted 2004) [#12]
I don't know why no one has mentioned Ultimate Unwrap 3d

I think ther's a bit of a cash shortage! and didn't want to make the list to long. I agree Ultimate Unwrap is another 'must have' tool.
>Carpman

po(Posted 2004) [#13]
I think ther's a bit of a cash shortage!

No Way! I got a big $110! I just don't want to spent my money on a 3D modelling program.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#14]
You really should think about getting ultimate unwrap. Awesome tool!!! And it's costs buttons :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#15]
Only £22.00 :)

carpman(Posted 2004) [#16]
No Way! I got a big $110! I just don't want to spent my money on a 3D modelling program.

Ooops!Sorry! I just had a look at the 3DCanvas website, the Plus version is $34, the Pro version $69.95. You could try the Plus version and still upgrade to the Pro version for about $35 if you felt you need it.That would leave you with $75.Ultimate Unwrap @ about $25 leaves you with enough to purchase GILE(S) and still have some left over. I've been using 3dCanvas Pro for about two years now and it does everything I want including boned animations. You can export your models and animations in .X format and convert to .B3d with Stickmans DX8 to B3D or use Decorator (both freeware).Load the B3D file into GILE(S),do a fantastic lightmap job and then into Blitz3D. Would you like me to mail you a screenshot? seeing is believing.
>Carpman

po(Posted 2004) [#17]
I am sure the screenshots look great but I think I wanna wait until I am better at 3D first before I get all these programs. I have only just begun testing. I will not need good lighting just yet :). Right now I have a very simple mesh and I think I need to learn the B3D way of putting on meshes first.

po(Posted 2004) [#18]
EEEEERRRRGGG!!! 3D Canvas Can only import .x! It can't export it!!! Now I'm really stuck!

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#19]
I agree Ultimate Unwrap is another 'must have' tool.

I heard it can export directly to the .b3d format, that true?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#20]
Yep, with all sorts of b3d features supported (even skeletal animation.) It can import b3d models too.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#21]
Po, right click on your model in 3d canvas >>>Export Selection>>>>DirectX object :)

@Genexi2, yeah it can export to .b3d. The exporter is in there site im sure :) And there a link to it in the specs and utilties part of this site.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#22]
Po, don't forget you need the purchase version of 3D Canvas ($35.) The free version does not export to DirectX.

Personally I'ld say forget 3D Canvas and get CharacterFX ($15) or use Milkshape ($20.) CharacterFX is a better animation tool but you'll need a separate modeler; of course, Wings3D is free and can create models. Milkshape is an all-in-one tool for modeling and animating but it isn't as good at either. At any rate, either CharacterFX or Milkshape is cheaper than 3D Canvas and can export to b3d file format.

po(Posted 2004) [#23]
What is the advantage to have it as a .b3d then any other type of mesh that blitz 3d will take?

po(Posted 2004) [#24]
Po, right click on your model in 3d canvas >>>Export Selection>>>>DirectX object :)

Nope. It only says 3D Canvas Object. I am getting mad here. The only way to add a bit of colour to a very simple mesh is to pay $30.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#25]
Take jhockings advise. It'll help in the long run :)

carpman(Posted 2004) [#26]
I think you've reached a 'make a decesion point'.You are going to have to make a purchase of one of the 3D modelling programs to be able to do all the things you want but this will be money well spent. I use Milkshape as well as 3DCanvas, they are both excellent programs for the money.I just like using 3DCanvas.Try downloading Milkshape and see what you think to it, then decide which you like using the best. No doubt we would all like to be able to afford 3DSMax and Lightwave but we can't. These are both high end programs with some features you would very seldom need to use. Whichever program you decide on I hope it brings you plenty of enjoyment, as I'm sure it will.
>Carpman

po(Posted 2004) [#27]
Sigh... I suppose I will need to get a program. What I am really aiming for is a very simple program, that's why I like Wings 3D. I found 3D Canvas was rather complicated :(
I will check out this Milkshape.

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#28]
You could also have a look at blender.
www.blender.org
It's freeware but only exports to DXF & VRML(or was it VRLM?).
Anyway, you could probably find a tool to convert any of these formats to 3DS.

carpman(Posted 2004) [#29]
What I am really aiming for is a very simple program, that's why I like Wings 3D. I found 3D Canvas was rather complicated

The problem is simple programs wont do everything you want. All 3D programs are a bit daunting at first every one has a differnt way of doing things.I'll bet the reason you like using Wings is because you have learnt how to use it and it seems easier than a new modelling program.What file formats does Wings export? maybe you could find a file converter but a good one is going to cost!! I find Milkshape harder to use than 3DCanvas but thats because I use 3DCanvas more,even after 2 years I'm still finding out new things about the program.The tutorials are very helpful in 3DCanvas as are the forums. Whichever you choose you will learn a bit everyday and so your skill will improve. Another is Quill3d but I think this is around the $60 mark.
>Carpman

carpman(Posted 2004) [#30]
Another way is to use models available on the net untill you make up your mind about modelling programs. You can load these into Blitz and get some practice using Blitz commands. Take a look here [a http://www.fileaholic.com/idgames.d/quake2/graphics/md2/]
You can get most of the Quake models here and these will load into Blitz with the MD2 commands. This is how I started with a spider like creature which when loaded was laid on it's back kicking it's legs in the air!!! It took most of the day for me to work out how to correct this. Remember you can't use these models commercially.
>Carpman

KimoTech(Posted 2005) [#31]
Use Milkshape instead. Its low-cost, and its functionally for games!

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#32]
Dude, this thread is a year old. Necromancy!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#33]
happens to me too sometimes. When I use the search function, it may happen that I reply spontanously, regardless of how old the thread is. BTW:

A freeware alternative to Ultimate Unwrap 3d may be Lithunwrap 1.3. UU3D is its sequel anyway. Tho Lithunwrap cannot save B3D. A solution would be to use the free version of Pacemaker to convert and animate.