Multiplayer Question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Multiplayer Question

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#1]
If I wanted to make a multiplayer rpg with more then just 2 peoples... Im a bit confused... Whats the difference between DirectPlay and TCP (Network)? What should I try using?

Oh and no i cant afford Blitz Play and Anyway I don't feel like paying for functions :P

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#2]
Blitz play lite is something you could use. Other then that you would have to use the 'hardcore' method of learning and implementing multiplayer using the regular commands.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#3]
From what I heared its only 2 player. First I asked for more then 2 player Second I asked to forget Blitz Play Third I asked between Direct Play and TCP, no offense intended Nebula :)

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#4]
No problem. I never used blitz play lite myself. I did not realise it was limited to two players.

From what I have heard you should look at other options then Direct Play. Still I think it is good enough for games with a low number of players and slow connections.
No idea though since I have not tried any multiplayer or internet based coding.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#5]
I'm thinking of making a Server Version and a Client version... and I wana at least 100 player to be able to connect... maybe TCP would be best whatever that is ;)
How would you send a string through TCP?

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#6]
Getting a 100 people to be able to connect would require a super upload from your part. Try 5 players for a start.

There are several TCP libraries in the code archives. Those should get you started.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#7]
Super Upload? What do you mean? Please elaborate

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#8]
The amount of data in a game with a hundred people to be send would be a lot. Each person would have to be able to chat with each other, global and individual. The players need to be synced at 60 fps. World info needs to be exchanged. This all at a ping preferably below 100.

SurreaL(Posted 2003) [#9]
er. I realize you already said you don't want to use BlitzPlay.. (which is cool) but for anyone else reading this post: It ain't just two players ;) BP-Lite supports up to 255 players, whereas Pro is only limited by your hardware.

That being said, if you wanted to roll your own engine, BP-Lite wouldn't be a bad place to start, since you can just modify it from there and you still wouldn't have to pay for a thing..

Otherwise. Depends on what kind of game you're trying to make.. You mention RPG. If you're limiting yourself to only DPlay or TCP then DPlay may be the better option, since it has built in support for broadcast messaging, which you'd have to code yourself w/ TCP. Not that it's hard or anything of course.. Hey at least w/ TCP you won't have to worry about DPlay crashing your app if you ever tried to connect to a game more than once ;)

Paradox7(Posted 2003) [#10]
Just us UDP... uh oh, trying figuring that one out ;P

What you say? just use Direct Play, once you learn to make a game, and learn to make it multiplayer with direct play, then you can think about other networking options ;)

Why direct play? its the simplest, easiest form You are going to be able to learn... but it does have its limit, player limits also.

OH also you can try this other library then, if you don't like blitzplay...

NetBlitz
http://dawp.tripod.com/netblitz.htm

Gauge(Posted 2004) [#11]
okay netblitz.htm doesn't have a download option, where can you get it?