Copyright own made files || .pak file with content

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Copyright own made files || .pak file with content

GC-Martijn(Posted 2003) [#1]
This is a simple question:

How to make 1 file with all the data (3ds,textures,mp3 etc) read protected.

That the end user only see this:

game.exe [12mb]
data.pak [400mb]

And the end user can't do anything with the data.pak

I thought this out:

When you zip a directory then
-can set a password
-can keep the directory structure
-can make the mb size smaller

the only thing I don't know how to read a password protected zip file in blitz ? and to use the file then.

Does someone how to do something like this?

Thank You very much
[i don't want that people use my 3ds files etc]
[and it look better (for the eye)]

semar(Posted 2003) [#2]
Look for Terabit's DataPacker.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
It's called "DataPak" and you can get it here:
http://www.blitz3d.co.uk/

I recommend it too.

GC-Martijn(Posted 2003) [#4]
oke thanks,

Now I protect my things i hope

GC-Martijn(Posted 2003) [#5]
mmm not really a protection it only moves the files in a other temp directory.

But its better then nothing :))

The only thing I really one know then is: "is this a big process ? will it cost memory/speed/cpu ?"

The pc must copy the file in a temp and then read it.

Well I still use it because I need some protection

Azathoth(Posted 2003) [#6]
Couldn't someone just look in your exe for the password?

GC-Martijn(Posted 2003) [#7]
people can hack everything,

But I had once made a zip file with a 8 characters pass.
And my pc don't cracked the code in a day, I think it cost one week to do that.

(don't remember the program name)
check ever second +/- 5000 passwords
(low/high caps,numbers,special char etc)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
"not really a protection it only moves the files in a other temp directory."

Um, have you actually tried it? It does exactly what you described, combining all the assets for your game into a single password-protected pak file. It doesn't compress however so the combined filesize will be just as big as all the individual files.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#9]
And my pc don't cracked the code in a day, I think it cost one week to do that.
You're using the wrong program. ZIP "encryption" is very weak, a modern PC wouldn't take 10 minutes to retreive even a complicated zip password. Read more here. Alternatively search that site for "Zip" to get some more recent tools (they'll be at the bottom).

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#10]
DataPak only provides a moderate amount of protection. If used correctly it will make it more trouble than it's worth for the casual hacker to get at the media. If used incorrectly it's nothing more than a media hiding exercise.

This is a limitation of the blitz loader functions not being able to load from a memory bank or a stream, something which is set to be addressed in the next iteration of Blitz.

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#11]
I did code an encryption program in the past, the encryption is made on a way which is hard to hack, but still I know people will be able to hack it sooner or later... Anything can be hacked... Sometimes quickly, sometimes it takes a little longer...

But like TeraBit's statement, if the hacking is more trouble than the protected data is worth, I don't think we've got anything to fear...

But... In the end everything can be hacked...

seferey(Posted 2005) [#12]
What I would Like to know is what commands do I use in B3D to read the content inside of the data.pak file

that's what I want to know

DataPak only provides a moderate amount of protection. If used correctly it will make it more trouble than it's worth for the casual hacker to get at the media. If used incorrectly it's nothing more than a media hiding exercise.

Thant's Exactly what I want as well a decent amount of protection for my Content

stayne(Posted 2005) [#13]
do what carmack did with Q3A... zip everything up and rename the extension from .zip to .pk3

seriously... he did!

seferey(Posted 2005) [#14]
Thanks for the advice markd

can you use bank commands or open file then read file command to read the content inside a .pak or .pk3

just curious
:)

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#15]
There is this nifty product called: Pack Boz

http://www.amt-lab.com/index.php?page=paprew