An Icon for my App

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/An Icon for my App

julianbury(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello :-)

How can I add an icon to my finished executable.exe?

When I searched for "icon" all I found were references to indigicon ;-)

Julian ^ee^

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#2]
I've been meaning to ask the same thing...

julianbury(Posted 2003) [#3]
I designed one especially.
I have a collection, too.
Buggered if I can apply them, though!

:-/

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#4]
ATM ther's no built-in feature for that in Blitz. All you can do is use a resource hacker that lets you modify the icon of any executable, once you have compiled your app. The only drawback is that you will have to do it every time you recompile your app.
Ther is one here but I have absolutely no idea if it's the best you can find.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
I use IconForge. It doesn't cost much (although obviously more than a free resource hacker) and is extremely user friendly, making the process of changing a exe icon extremely fast and easy.

If you need to replace the icon for every compile (so that you don't have to replace the icon every time you recompile) change the icon in c:\Blitz3D\bin\runtime.dll

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#6]
Is there a site with info on that util jhockin?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#7]
The company that makes IconForge is CursorArts. Search on Google.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#8]
How do I change the icon of my Blitz program?

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#9]
(2003-05-16 12:09:21)

The company that makes IconForge is CursorArts. Search on Google.

Thank you!

Aoneweb(Posted 2003) [#10]
IF you have an Icon designed then all you do is right clice on the blitz Icon of your exe file and click on properties, you will see a button saying Change Icon, I think you could work it out from there.
Aone

PROUD TO BE A BLITZER.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#11]
That only works on XP and anyway I don't think that is a permanent change (ie. I think the icon reverts when you move the exe to a different computer.)

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#12]
yeah it is only specific to that app on the pc and provided the icon filedoesn't move also

David D Brown(Posted 2005) [#13]
Hello;
After I did the .EXE on my video game,I then down loaded: IsTool,Inno Setup5,Pure Install,Blitzmedialinker and plan to copy to a disket to give to a friend to view my game.
Are there any programs that I have to write first too add to my game before I can use the above media linkers.
Thank You
David Brown

ghost(Posted 2005) [#14]
That only works on XP and anyway I don't think that is a permanent change (ie. I think the icon reverts when you move the exe to a different computer.)

What about moving the icon in the same time ?

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#15]
or just use ResHack.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#16]
What about moving the icon in the same time ?

Depends if it's an absolute or relative path.

If it's an absolute path you have to rely on the user installing the application in the same folder you did. And the user might not install it in "f:\my stuff\doohickeys\i always lose this stuff\where did i put my glasses\pompey for the cup\whoops there go my underpants\"

Or they might..

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#17]
I úse a program called resource hacker, its free and very useful ;) it does a lot more than changing icons.

TheSkyIsUp(Posted 2008) [#18]
Blitz should have an easy way to set the icon for a executable file... I don't want all the games I make to have the same Blitz icon!

Jack Dawson(Posted 2011) [#19]
Although, I hate opening old threads, I am curious to know if anyone has solved the ICON problem with Blitz3D yet ? I could hack it, but then every icon I make has the same icon. And the people who get my programs, they do not even see the icon I made, telling me that hacking Blitz3D to put an icon in it is useless.

Anyone solved this yet ? For such a wonderful program, I think they dropped the ball on this one. All other IDE software has a way to include a custom icon into it, even that sorry DarkBasic Pro has a way to do it. So am I missing something ? I did a search on the forums and came up with nothing.

Ideas ?

Last edited 2011

_PJ_(Posted 2011) [#20]

but then every icon I make has the same icon.

Not to sure what you mean by this. unless, you mean hacking the Blitz3D Runtime.dll?

As some of the suggestions bove, I generally use ResourceHacker, and change the icon JUST FOR THE ACTUAL BLITZ-CREATED EXECUTABLE.
When I distribute the executable, the receiving party will find the exe has the new icon as intended. It's not difficult in itself to do this, and I would recommend it.

There really isn't any simpler alternative to my knowledge.

Jack Dawson(Posted 2011) [#21]
Skip all my questions.. grrr.. for some reason, there is more then one ResourceHacker version and I used a different one from that guys site and this time it worked. I used his 64Bit resource-hacker version that he is no longer supporting. And that one worked. WTF ???

Anyhow.. Thanks for making me test and retest this again.

However, this is still a request that a further version of the IDE for Blitz3D include a way to add custom icons. It would be greatly appreciated by all of us customers.

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#22]
Remember, Icons are stored in DLLs. Not the actual EXE. The DLLs are sometimes inside of the EXE,
You need to read up on the PE format as you have been grossly misinformed.

My guess is you simply do not know, and do not understand, what you are doing. I am going to guess that you are trying to use Blitz3D on a modern operating system (Vista/7) and are running into virtual store conflicts which is causing the problems you describe because you likely do not have permission to change the files in the location you are trying to change them and are inadvertently using and sending out the wrong files to people.

I do not have B3D, but the EXE icon can be changed in the methods described above by others. The only thing is doing so will not provide full compatibility with the new icon format for EXEs under Vista/7. You may or may not be able to manually add a Vista/7 compatible icon (proper size and compression) to a B3D created EXE. However, you can still change the default EXE icon with no problem, it will just be a "one size fits all" solution.

Jack Dawson(Posted 2011) [#23]
Yea I got it solved once I knew that Windows was not refreshing my icon until I rebooted my computer. That is what was throwing me off. As for PE File formats, yes I do understand them. This has nothing to do with it being Win7 nor was it a permissions problem. And the Problem has been solved.

My request still stands though, I still wish Blitz3D had the ability to include a custom icon like ALL other IDEs do.

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#24]
As for PE File formats, yes I do understand them.
Then why did you say the nonsense about icons not actually being in EXEs and only in DLLs and when they are in EXEs it is because they are in a DLL in the EXE?

I still wish Blitz3D had the ability to include a custom icon like ALL other IDEs do.
Since B3D is not a compiler (in the traditional sense) this will likely never happen. The icon used actually appears to be in the B3D runtime. The best hope would be a bootstrap program built into the IDE that lets you change the EXE icon once it is compiled.

Given that B3D is so old and is literally a dead product due to the incompatibilities with modern operating systems and Mark has made it clear it will never be updated to current rendering APIs, I would not hold my breath. Mark puts a bug fix out now and then for B3D, but that is about it. I wouldn't expect new features for a product that should have been pulled off the shelf a few years ago.

I used his 64Bit resource-hacker version that he is no longer supporting. And that one worked. WTF ???
IIRC, doesn't the manifest in this version request admin privileges hence eliminating the the issue you were having before?

Last edited 2011

Jack Dawson(Posted 2011) [#25]
Its all fixed bro.. Don't sweat it. I was able to solve the problem. That's what matters. And no, it was not permissions problem.

And its sad that they are not going to update it to have that feature. Oh well, its still a great IDE.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#26]
Blitz 3d works a treat on my windows 7 os, must be some other os that has issues.