How long can a B3D program be?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How long can a B3D program be?

GameLab(Posted 2003) [#1]
I was wondering how big can a B3D source-code file be...
Does anyone know how many kbytes big can a single .bb file be?
Or perhaps, how many lines of souce code can be typed in a single .bb file?
The answers to these questions would be of great help to me.
Thanks a lot,
/R

soja(Posted 2003) [#2]
It depends on how many times you include the letter E in your sourcecode. Blitz only supports using the letter E 255 times in each .bb file. That is why you don't want to use variable names with an E in them. It is also why the keyword "then" is optional in an "if" statement, and also why you want to try to write all your "if" statements on one line, so you don't have to use "else" (really expensive) or "endif". "Select" statements are really bad -- especially with all those "case" statements that go along with it. I don't know why Mark picked those as keywords -- it doesn't make sense to me.

Don't worry. It taks som tim, but you'll get usd to it.

Just kidding. Excuse my jokes. =)

Actually, I'm not sure what the actual limit is for sourcecode, but it's probably a lot bigger than you'll ever have to worry about (i.e. hard drive space).

That's an interesting question... it makes me curious on what you're planning to do.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#3]
Theoretically they can grow to infinite size. Practically there would be some limitations in the form of RAM, Filesystem, RichEdit, but when that happens you can split the code up into multiple files and just use include.

I have successfully compiled over 50 megs of Blitz code (it took forever too). It was about 2000 lines of real code, and 50 megs worth of data statements.

Peer(Posted 2003) [#4]
My biggest Project was 200 megs big. Over 5000 Lines of code. No problem. I think you haven't worry about it.

Please call me if you reach the top. Want's to see this Projectt :)

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#5]
This is NOT DarkBASIC, there are not limits on size or length of your source code.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'm guessing 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 the 0's go on forever... gb.

I guess it does depend on hard drive space... and RAM...

Blitz123(Posted 2007) [#7]
Oh, its you again. Stop dragging up topics form 4 years ago man!

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#8]
ok, ok.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#9]
You can dragup any thread nowmatter how old as long as you are actually going to contribute to it, and it would not be better to start a new thread.

So if for example you had done a search on how to XXXXXX and after you had the answer you posted on one of the threads that you had found during your search and say "This is How", then very good. Or you asked a question, and now you know the answer so you get your old thread and post on it.

However, even in these situations you would possibly wind some ppl up, who feel that sometimes a thread should be concidered dead. (I dont think this, and often do the first one above.

You have in no way contributed to this thread, so dont think its Just Blitz123 whos back you will be getting up by this trawling.